• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valuation question

7 posts in this topic

I would appreciate opinion on valuation of my 1873-CC W/A seated half, that PCGS has graded XF details. It is NOT for sale, but I am interested in trying to establish an estimated value. Thank You.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

This is a tough one. Heritage has gotten as much as $1,495 at auction for an example in an NCS holder with an EF sharpness, cleaned label. Your coin looks nicer than that one, but it is raw and probably cannot be graded if you were to give NGC a try.

I would say retail would be in the $900 to $1,100 range, and wholesale in the $700 to $800 range. The Gray Sheet numbers are $650 for VF to $1,600 for EF. The rule thumb is that a problem coin loses at least one grade, given what most VF graded coins look like, this coin should do a bit better than that.

This is a tough one. Heritage has gotten as much as $1,495 at auction for an example in an NCS holed with an EF sharpness, cleaned label. Your coin looks nicer than that one, but it is raw and probably cannot be graded if you were to give NGC a try.

I would say retail would be in the $900 to $1,100 range, and wholesale in the $700 to $800 range. The Gray Sheet numbers are $650 for VF to $1,600 for EF. The rule thumb is that a problem coin loses at least one grade, given what most VF graded coins look like, this coin should do a bit better than that.

For clarification. The coin is not raw -- the pics I took were before it went to PCGS. It is now in a PCGS XF details holder.

This is a tough one. Heritage has gotten as much as $1,495 at auction for an example in an NCS holed with an EF sharpness, cleaned label. Your coin looks nicer than that one, but it is raw and probably cannot be graded if you were to give NGC a try.

I would say retail would be in the $900 to $1,100 range, and wholesale in the $700 to $800 range.

A holed, cleaned example in an XF details NCS slab sold for $1,495 at auction (also failed to grade problem-free)

then I don't understand why just a $1,000 retail for a PCGS XF details? Because it cannot be graded..?

I don't understand