• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey JJ, what do you think of this coin.

12 posts in this topic

Keep in mind, all of these early Crusader Antoich coins are crude, and its somewhat rare. Infact, the only example I have seen for sale.

Antioch.Roger of Salerno AD 1112-1119.AE.Follis 5.69g.St.George spearing dragon Rev. four lines in Greek 'Roger,Prince of Antioch'. Ref:Schl.Pl.II.12 large flan, black patina with earthen highlights

37_1_b.JPG

8d_1.JPG

Thanks AF, I appreciate your opinion. hi.gif The major devices, like the Saint on horseback holding his spear can be made out. I just wish there was a bit more detail on the obverse.

The positives i see for thsi coin are that is has a cool obverse design and its quite rare. I also like inscriptions on one side. Planchet has a neat shape.

The minuses include that it looks very, very rough. Reverse legend is tough to read.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it looks like another coin I'd have trouble adding to my collection beacuse of low eye appeal unless it was something both very rare and fitting with my collection theme.

What's the coin expected to sell for? Any clue as to the metal? Is Roger of Selerno tough to come by in general or just this particular coin?

-JamminJ

It is an AE follis. Roger of Salerno only minted 4 different coins according to my reference books. I could probably get it for around $100.00. I could probably wait and eventually run across a better example, but it would most likely go for well over $500.00, if I did run across one. I know this is hard to believe that but that has eye appeal to me, with the patina and earthen high lights. Call me crazy. screwy.gif

I was going to ask TJ what he would do, but i'm sure I already know the answer. "Get drunk, take off his clothes and cover himself in baby oil while sharpening knives in the dark and repeating 'John Kerry heal me, John Kerry heal me' "

If you like the way it looks there's no reason to hesitate. $100 fro one you like and available now sounds better than $500 for one that may or may not come along.

Is this coin in another CNG sale? Did the crusaders mint any gold coins? I'll bet I would liek those since the gold is more inert and wont develop the crustly look that turned me off.

-JamminJ

I was going to ask TJ what he would do, but i'm sure I already know the answer. "Get drunk, take off his clothes and cover himself in baby oil while sharpening knives in the dark and repeating 'John Kerry heal me, John Kerry heal me' "

That's some funny stuff! 27_laughing.gif

If I spent my days writing technical manuals all day likr TJ I might want to do the same thing - after a few stiff ones, of coarse.

-JamminJ

Well TJ, aka Ripple Breath, I didn't win the coin. And JJ, that other coin I was trying to get, the one with the mean looking dude with the sword, I didn't win that one either. In the old days, I would of bid whatever it took if I wanted the coin, but now I'm a fiscal conservative, and I bid SMART. acclaim.gif Funny thing is, I found out that a dealer won the coin (the sword/man coin), listed it on his website, and marked it up 60%. I'm actually glad I didn't win it, because his jpg was better then CNG's, and the coin had some scratches on the obverse that CNG didn't mention.

Oh well, another good coin will come along. 60% is quite the heatlthy markup - does that take into accoutn the buyer's premium and all the other fees?

Since my collecting theme is also quite broad I propably collect in a similar manner to you. View lots and lots of interesting coins which fit with the theme and buy the ones that are either excellent values or excellent coins.

-JamminJ

Hey JJ, no that didn't include the buyers premium. If the coin hadn't of had the scratches, I would of bid higher, but I suspected after looking at CNG's image for awhile that there were either scratches on the obverse, or, it had been tooled. To me, that just ruins the coin. Comparing it to other sold examples, if it didn't have the scratches, it would of been the nicest I found out of about 20 pieces, and I'm guessing it would of sold for well over $200.00, maybe $300.00. I'm still a bit surprised that CNG didn't mention the scratches.