• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Washington Quarter

19 posts in this topic

Decided to "downgrade" my Washington quarter in my Type set from a 67 to a 66. Obverse has a ton of color, most of which is impossible to image, mostly random with no real rhyme or reason to the patterns. Reverse has from about 4:00 all the way to 12:00. This is one of those "three degree" coins, where you have to have the angles just right to catch the toning, but wow for those three.

fcafd4f0.jpg

fcafd4ef.jpg

Spooky Keith... almost makes he plastic glow! ooo.gif

And shame on you for not having your top-slot coin in the registry! wink.gif

Hoot

The glow comes from having the slab at a slight angle to the scanner. For NGC coins, this glow is mostly yellow, for PCGS, it is mostly blue.

As for the top-graded coin, it sold on E-Bay last week to pay for this one. laugh.gif

I ended up selling a majority of my top-pop moderns and "downgrading" each piece by a point when I bought them back. I used the difference in cost to purchase a bunch of neat classic coins.

I ended up selling a majority of my top-pop moderns and "downgrading" each piece by a point when I bought them back. I used the difference in cost to purchase a bunch of neat classic coins.

What an excellent idea! shocked.gifsmile.gif

It is amazing what the price difference can be between a MS-66 and 67 Bicentennial Kennedy, or an MS-68 and 69 Lincoln cent. And while I believe that my eye can tell the difference between the two, most people I show my coins to can't. They can tell that the rainbow Barber dime I picked up with the difference is special.

That's a wonderful coin, Keith, and I know from whom you purchased it. It doesn't matter if it "only" grades MS66 vs. MS67; it's the "look" that counts and that coin has the "look".

Wow, fabulous coin. I think you made the right decision in choosing this very eye appealing coin over the other one. I haven't seen the MS67 coin, so I can't say that this coin is more appealing, but it sure would be harder to get nicer then this coin.

Hammer,

So you'll have a real fact to take with you in life -- In 1932, the 200th anniversary of the birth of GW, a contest was held to design a circulating commemorative quarter. The winning design was nixed at the last moment and replaced with this one. Do a search for the 1999 gold Washington $5 commem and you can see the original design.

That's very enlighteneing if we're talking about George Washington the President. Did you study the coin I attached? Obviously not. The bust is LARGER in relation to the coin and it's NOT George Washington (technically) that's represented on MY Washington quarter (the president), it's Pope George "Pius" Washington (served 946 to 1125). I can understand your confusion in understanding this paradox. They're actually the same person. Pope George is immortal, like in the Highlander. After wearing the Mitre for 179 years, folks began to have their suspicions about "old Pius", and finally, rather than be accused of practicing witcraft and being drawn and quartered, he faked his death to escape the Jesuit's wrath, later resurfacing in the early Americas to take charge and head the Presidency. Once in power, George (the president) had all of these 10century Washington coins destroyed. This one escaped. It was buried with the Shroud of Turin. I can understand your confusion! laugh.gif

Ask OldTrader. I'm sure he'll remember the 11th century with the proper application of a cattle prod applied to his nether-regions. He's just being coy in his silence on the subject!

Keith, why was the winning design nixed right before they were to be minted, and replaced with another design?

*No one should feed the Hammertroll that's on the loose.

If I remember right, the selection committee chose L. Fraser's design, but the Mint Director preferred Flanagan's, and decided to nix the choice of the committee by overruling them.

It is really a shame that Fraser's design was not adopted. I have a specimen of the Washington Half-eagle and IMHO the design is inspiring.

The modern day quarters have just been absolutely butchered. The design is so blah. They have no creativity to them. The most annoying part of the quarters is the hair! Who on earth would want hair that looks like it is made out of spaghetti or something? Absolutely terrible.......