• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Set proved "Proofetic"

3 posts in this topic

NGC Multi-coin Proof set collection grows

In September I posted an article describing a NCG 1964 multi-coin holder Proof set I added to my collection. I really liked the look of the holder and this way of collecting proof sets.

Subsequently I bid on ebay and also purchased the NGC multi-coin holder box in anticipation of future proof set additions.

The years that I am targeting are 1954-1964, with 1964 being the final year of regular issue silver coinage and the 1st year of issue for the Kennedy Half. I have now added two new proof sets in the NGC multi-coin holder, 1958 and 1960. Both sets are graded PF66.

Regarding the 1960 proofs, this set has the small date cent. I won't add the 1960 large date in an individual holder to the registry, unless, of course , there is a 6 coin multi-holder set out there with both 1 cent varieties, I would be jumping all over that !

These NGC multi-coin holder sets are also hard to find for the date range I am targeting, but that is what makes the hunt challenging.

You really have to search e-bay carefully to find them, especially in an open auction.

I also think for this era, Proofs graded PF66 are an acceptable grade although I will add higher graded sets and potentially upgrade if I can find better sets. Matched sets (all coins graded the same) also don't matter to me. I'm really happy I started collecting these proof sets as these dates are from my childhood. Add in the fact that the sets are low cost, and cover 20th century coin designs that I do not collect and this all adds up to lots of fun.

Thanks for reading, and Happy Collecting !

Rich

14708.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Neat set Rich- especially with the small date cent! This is a different direction for you- but since they don't make the multiholder sets anymore it has a built in "rarity". If I see any available in this date range I will be sure to send you a PM! Good luck with your quest! Dave