• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1803 Small Fraction Help

4 posts in this topic

The large date part is obvious but I really for some reason struggle with the small fraction part. It seems like every 1803 cent I see is small fraction and I know that is not possible. What is the best way to tell?

It may sound "smart " but, experience. If not that then having a couple of pictures or the large and small fraction reverses. I believe there are only three large fraction reverses in 1803 so there isn't a lot of variation between the large fractions. The small fractions have more variation in the positioning of the digits but not the size. You do have to keep the comparison between varieties of 1803 because there are fractions in other years that are mid sized between the "small" and "large" fraction sizes of 1803. One thing you can look for if the fraction is clear is the 1 in the denominator. On the small fractions the 1 is usually "blunt" while on the large fraction it has a long point at the top of the 1. There are a few small fractions that have a pointed 1 as well but they aren't as prominent as on the large fraction.

Large fraction

149713N2.jpg

Small Fraction

143059N2.jpg

Yeah thanks. I think I've got to just bet better experience. What gets me is the "1" on a very worn large date can appear to be like a small date. I think I need to get better at looking at the overall size of the fraction and in particular the "100" to get this right.