• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Book, The Authoritative Reference on Liberty Seated Dollars by Kevin Flynn

42 posts in this topic

The Authoritative Reference on Liberty Seated Dollars book by Kevin Flynn should be going to print around xmas. The plan is to only print the number of books that are ordered prepublication. If only 30 books are ordered prepublication, then only 30 books plus those books for individuals who helped will be printed. The book is 8 ½ by 11, 175 pages. Softcover $39.95.

The primary purpose of this book was to create a complete and comprehensive reference for the Liberty Seated Dollars series including all die varieties, history, collecting, historical documents, and hot topic such as the 1851 and 1852 proof restrikes, 1866 No Motto Dollars, rare date and mint marks such as the 1870-S Dollar, and early proof mintages.

The die variety section of the book includes 10 doubled dies, 7 misplaced dates, and 14 repunched date. Several more die varieties should be added by the time the book is published. For each die variety listed, detailed macro photos make identification much easier. Most of the varieties include multiple photographs showing different details. Included also for each variety is a detailed description of the variety, diagnostics, including die markers such as die cracks, scratches, clashes which can make identifying the variety easier, pricing, and cross references.

Many new archive letters were uncovered relative to the Liberty Seated series and are included. This greatly helped in the analysis of the history section and shed new details on the Liberty Seated series, especially for why the designs were chosen, changed and why it was terminated. Also included are archive letters regarding the hot topics which help add clarity.

The date-by-date section offers an analysis of each date including scarcity, striking characteristics, world history which occurred that year, hot topics, comments, current values, prices realized from Heritage Auctions, and the certified population counts from PCGS and NGC.

The Hot Topics section contains a several detailed studies on the Liberty Seated Dollars series including an analysis of: The 1851 and 1852 Dollar proof restrikes, understand why these were struck in later years and who had them struck; The 1866 No Motto Dollar, learn the history of these and when they were struck; Early proof counts, a complete analysis of the Liberty Seated proof struck before 1858, before official counts were kept; A complete analysis Liberty Seated proof counts, how several of the currently accepted proof counts are incorrect, see the correct counts.

The current plan is to only print the number of copies ordered prepublication. There is no current plans to offer these after they are printed. Retail for the softcover is $39.95. To order, send a check or money order to Kevin Flynn, P.O. Box 396 , Lumberton , NJ 08048. Please include $5 for media shipping or $10 for first class shipping. Please write if any questions at kevinjflynn88@yahoo.com. See other books available at www.kevinjflynn.com.

Finishing up final edits, planning on going to print next Monday, should take 4-5 weeks to print

The archive records included cover all of the Liberty Seated series up through 1874 and also includes the Gobrecht Dollar archive records. I believe they are all related and relevant. The choice was to be selective for each Liberty Seated book, or to be redundant, I thought it was better for the reader to be inclusive. The history section also covers everything up through 1874.

Thanks

Kevin

had 8 days off over xmas, was working on this book about 7-10 hours every day, its a labor of love. The hot topics section is always the most challenging, this book was no exception, especially with the 51-52 restrikes, 70-S, 66 No Motto to name some of the interesting rarities of this series.

The only part left, which is the part I hate the most is picking a color for the cover, after 44 books, hard to pick a color which looks different, and not blue which is my favorite. I can solve problems all day long, but trying to have the vision of picking a color to coordinate all of the images and bring forth what you want to stand out, difficult, my wife does not even ask me anymore when we are painting something, I will just agree with her......

Kevin

The only part left, which is the part I hate the most is picking a color for the cover, after 44 books, hard to pick a color which looks different, and not blue which is my favorite. I can solve problems all day long, but trying to have the vision of picking a color to coordinate all of the images and bring forth what you want to stand out, difficult, my wife does not even ask me anymore when we are painting something, I will just agree with her......

Kevin

:roflmao:

Make the cover color silver. BTW, I hope you have lots of info on the 1850 since that's one I have! Look forward to the release of the book.

Any updates on the release of the Seated Dollar book?

On Jan 25th I was told it was at the printer which takes a couple of weeks. Soon...I am looking forward to it. :)

Any updates on the release of the Seated Dollar book?

I received and approved the proofs last week, should be able to order and receive the books this week and send out next week

Kevin

Thanks for the update. Look forward to receiving the book.

"...shipped out all books that were ordered this morning."

But.....but...what if I ordered a book on some other day -- and not 'this morning'?

"...shipped out all books that were ordered this morning."

But.....but...what if I ordered a book on some other day -- and not 'this morning'?

Good word play

My brain was ready to explode last night packing these, overloaded on aspirin to that I could shut down.

You may not get it James, He said that he only planned to print the number of copies that were pre-ordered before publication. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few extra copies printed to cover damaged or lost copies, so you may have a chance.

Just started reading. Lots of good information. Note: should you put out a new edition, I believe that there is an error (presumably a typo) on page 120 - first paragraph.

Thanks for putting out a good reference book.

I assume the books went by media mail. It has a reputation for being slow but It never has for me.....until now. I've been watching my mailbox ever since Kevin announced that he mailed them 18 days and counting, and counting, and counting.

I got mine earlier this week. Less than a week after the check arrived. You might want to send him an e-mail. He's been very responsive for me.

I had him sign the book as well.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you very much; I was late to the game. I also was bummed out I forgot to ask you to sign it but you knew better and sign it to me. As far as the color you choose; PERFECT! University of Texas orange. Now to go make a pot of coffee so I can stay awake and read.

David

Texas

I assume the books went by media mail. It has a reputation for being slow but It never has for me.....until now. I've been watching my mailbox ever since Kevin announced that he mailed them 18 days and counting, and counting, and counting.

Hi Mike,

I will see if I can track it down and get back to you

Thanks

kevin