• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was anyone else bidding in Charlie Davis' book auction?

5 posts in this topic

What sorta stuff are you guys bidding on? I like having a good reference library, but I mostly buy new stuff. Are you guys going for the old and collectible type stuff? This is an area we don't talk about much - so feel free to post pictures, talk about your book collections, etc. I'm interested.

I bid primarily on U.S.-related material. I have books and catalogs going back to the mid-19th century. About 3,000 items total (including journals and numismatic DVDs). My numismatic library has made a HUGE difference in how I view the hobby. Additionally, I have everything at home, at use my library almost every day. My coin/medal/token collection is locked up in a safety deposit box, and I don't get to it very often.

I buy books that will enhance my research efforts, so I go after numismatic and related books that are out of print, but not available on Google Books.

In the past, I've picked up a couple of ANS publications (including one from the 1930's) and, in the past year, I've acquired several publications dealing with J.L. Riddell, who was Melter and Refiner at the New Orleans Mint before the Civil War.

I don't generally go after auction catalogs, but there's a pretty solid audience for the older ones, especially those with floor bidder notes.