• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR designation for buffalo nickels

5 posts in this topic

NGC gives the star to a coin that they think has exceptional eye appeal. It can be given to any type of coin, not just buffalo nickels, however all the graders must agree that the coin deserves the star. If any one of them disagrees, the coin will not get the star.

On a percentage basis, very few coins have been given the star by NGC compared to the number of coin they have graded, and as such, NGC star coins are highly sought after by collectors.

John

not only do all the graders have to agree on the star but also the finalizer has to agree also if only one disagrees it doesnot get the star

and yes this star means exceptional eye appeal and is one of the most subjective designations given

i do like the star for coins tha are simply amazing cloud9.gif

BUT THE PROBLEM IS WITHIN THE LAST YEAR

i am seeing more and more star coins that for me do not deserve it by a long shot not even close 893whatthe.gif

and yet others that do not get a star that are truly killer monster exceptionally eye appealling coins 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

so i would be careful of how much you pay for a star designated coin

you had better know and understand what you are looking at and the coin had better knock you out if it has the star and the seller wants a premium for it

michael

Here's a "star" Buffalo. Notice that the obverse is at or near GEM but the reverse is mush. This graded MS63 STAR. grin.gif You can't really give it an MS64 due to weak strike BUT....you can give it a "star". Seems appropriate to me.

5c-26d_small.jpg

jom