• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hunted and Hunted and Hunted--Then I Passed posted by Jackson

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Guess that is why it is called collecting and not assembling or gathering.

I must start off by admitting that I'm hesitant with talking about specific dates that I'm searching for. In my paranoid and competetive little mind--if someone out there who is searching for the same coins that I am in the same grades, by them knowing that I also will be trying to acquire them-this gives them an advantage in sniping me or driving up the price at auction. Or worse yet, if a dealer knows that buyers have been patiently scouring auctions for years for these coins, then it gives them an advantage in price setting and profiting. Like I said, I'm probably just paranoid and sellers wouldn't really jack the price of scarce items that are being sought after.

Having said that, I'm going to mention the 2 issues/dates that are at or near the top of my coin "want list." They are a 1947 Walker Half in MS67 and a 1944 MS67FB mercury dime. I just haven't seen one anywhere--ebay, the 5 or 6 regular on-line auctions I peruse, seller websites with smaller inventory, Money marketplace or even PCGS dealer links--nothing.

Until this past few weeks------

First I saw, not one but TWO of the Mercury Dimes at auction. To keep it short, they were priced way too high for their average appearance. I already own an MS66FB and an MS67 of this date. Both of these coins cost me under $100 each and the thought of paying $1600 for a single point increase or complete separation of the center bands, well the coin better be VERY nice for this to happen. The thing is that I actually find my current coins more attractive. My 66FB has some nice rim toning and really bold strike--the 67FB for 16x the amount is somewhat ho-hum ( a technical 67FB.)

The 1947 Walker in MS67 will be the final upgrade for my walker short set. I don't plan on spending ridiculous premiums for a +plus+ grade coin, so the final coin that I can financially afford to upgrade is the 1947. In the recent Whitman/Baltimore show there was one at auction by S & B. I put a low-ball bid in which I knew would not stand. Secretly I hoped I'd be outbid because the truth is I didn't like the look of the coin with hap hazzard dark browns and even some black which almost looked moldy instead of tone. Luckily I was outbid because I would have used this as an expensive slot filler and been back to searching for another 1947 to replace it.

So there you have it. This is why it is collecting and not assembling sets--or hoarding--or gathering. I could have finished the assembly but that is not why I am a numismatist. I collect. Each of our tastes in series, the appeal to our eyes, some like tone and some like blast white, for some it's satiny luster and others love a frost finish--the point is, we collect. Because of this we discriminate according to our own preferences--and sometimes we have to pass.

The reverse of my < $100 1944 MS66FB

14665.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

I must admit, I can understand your sentiments here. For love of collecting. Each of us have a particular palate. A discerning eye, if you will, that gives rise to a certain elation. When we find a coin that meets and exceeds our critique.

I like to separate my collecting into two categories. First would be those coins that are solid for their respective grades, and somewhat of a good enough deal that I am reasonably certain a profit may be made from the purchase. These I would classify as buy and sell coins. The second , would be those coins that I consider to be exceptional for their respective grades, with a discerning eye towards details . (absolute full head on SLQ, full split bands on dimes, full horn and a split tail on Buffalo nickels and so on....!). As well as a pleasing flawless white to a beautiful striking rainbow of colorations for eye appeal. These coins I classify as those that make the cut for KEEPERS. Sometimes there comes a coin that you realize , you practically never see for sale in a particular condition and may not see one again for a very, very, long time. Those I give a special classification too. Over retail !!!!! These are the coins that I am willing pay more for than their probably worth. But my want it ,supersedes my good sense !!!! Sometimes I wind up with an exciting new addition and sometimes someone else had the same feeling !!!!!!! ^^

excellent points Reid--I can see that we both have similar outlooks with the hunting part.

I thought you ( and others) might enjoy this one coin as an example of what we are talking about.

The auction also had 3 different SLQ 25c 1917 T-1 at MS66FH. Two of the dates were very attrractive and sold for $1500 or so...the third coin was a jaw dropper. I almost went ahead and tried to purchase it although it is above what I consider my budget for a coin. In the end this coin of the same date, grade and strike designation sold for more than 3x what the other 2 very nice coins sold at....

I hope if the auction winner is at this site that he won't mind me posting these pics of the coin...

142663.jpg.3fed664043a08832ecfdeb744cca2ebf.jpg

142664.jpg.97575e345f9a177f204091dcef092da8.jpg

Good luck on finding the 1947 Walker you're looking for. There are a few MS-67's out there, but many of them are from the original Mint sets,which were shipped in cardboard holders and are heavily toned. My 1947 is one of those - dark red, violet and green (no black), almost impossible to photograph, but undeniably original. I have been looking for a companion 1947-D MS-67 for quite a while. They are few and far between and the price is usually way above my limit.

oops...you are right..I meant to say it was the 1947-D that I've been hunting for. Look at the one in the recent Stacks and Bowers auction CBC and tell me if you enjoy the coin enough to have paid the money to purchase it.

http://stacksbowers.com/auctions/AuctionLot.aspx?LotID=561295

That one is nice, but the price is out of my range. I had the high hid on a MS-67* on ebay about two years ago ($1500) but was"sniped" at the last second. I'll keep hunting - one of these days we'll both find one we can afford.