• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Devastation in The Philippines.

6 posts in this topic

The full magnitude of the devastation left by Typhoon Haiyan as it crossed The Philippines is just now being realized. The survivors there desperately need all the help we can provide.

I have no direct connection to the Philippines, other than my love of their history as it became entwined with our own, and the coinage that resulted. Through my numismatic endeavors of the last 10 years, I have purchased many coins from dealers in The Philippines, and I've never been disappointed with their service, their friendliness, or the quality of the coins I have received. I hope that all of my numismatic friends there are well.

I just made a donation directly to the Philippine Red Cross through PayPal, and I would like to urge others in our community of collectors to do the same. There are many ways to provide aid, and the following links list quite a few:

http://us.cnn.com/2013/11/09/world/iyw-how-to-help-typhoon-haiyan/index.html

https://www.paypal-donations.com/pp-charity/web.us/campaign.jsp?cid=28

http://www.redcross.org.ph/donate

I always like to include a picture with my posts, and this one seems most appropriate for this topic on Veteran's Day. It is the obverse of the 1947-S commemorative honoring General Douglas MacArthur, "The Defender and Liberator of The Philippines."

Thank you for reading this post and many thanks to all of the Veterans who have served our country.

14656.jpg

See more journals by coin928

Today I have made a donation through World Vision for the Philippines. When I think about the immensity of the devastation there, I realize how blessed I am. My heart is certainly with the people of the Philippines. I spent a considerable amount of time there while I was in the US Navy about 35 years ago. A wealthy country can scarce take a hit like that let alone a country like the Philippines. My prayers are certainly with them in their time of great need.

Gary

my heart and prays go out to all the island nations in that area as I had the great fortune of serving that area of this great planet while in the us navy. I have tried to contact friends that I know are still in the area, to no avail but I will keep trying

May God bless the people lost to this storm and may he give peace to the ones that survived ....Mike

Thanks Gary!

I've never been there, but it's on my bucket list. I'd be very interested to hear more about you experience in the Philippines. We should actually "talk" some time.

Harry

This image is from the BBC and shows the path taken by Typhoon Haiyan across the Philippines. Haiyan (or Yolanda as it was known locally) was one of the strongest storms ever to make landfall. This NBC News Story puts things in perspective with respect to US hurricanes and is quite sobering.

Haiyan left The Philippines by passing directly between two islands to the southwest of Mindoro. Busuanga Island is just north of the storm track and Culion Island is just to the south. Culion Island is the home of the Leper Colony and the origin of the coins in my Culion Leper Colony set.

Please pray for these people and provide aid if you can.

882878_10152917311167588_2146185610_o.jpg