• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its the Weekend! Post a cool coin in an old Fattie!

32 posts in this topic

A long time favorite, sorry no slab pic you'll just have to trust me. ;)

1916cobvmd.jpg1916crevmd.jpg

And this one is cool imo, not high grade but this is my favorite type of toning.

208428-015O.jpg208428-015R.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but the coins pictured with the lines below the label are not fatties?

My bad, I didn't know the difference until you said it. I thought that if there is a full white foam that hold a coin in the slabs are called "fattie slab." Lesson learned.

Correct me if I am wrong but the coins pictured with the lines below the label are not fatties?

My bad, I didn't know the difference until you said it. I thought that if there is a full white foam that hold a coin in the slabs are called "fattie slab." Lesson learned.

No problem. I have not been collecting long and wanted to be sure I was not misunderstanding.

Nice coins regardless of the slab.

That is my understanding as well. Wow, Lance's 1802 is gorgeous

I wish. I just "posted a cool coin in an old fattie". I only took the pictures.

That 1802 was part of the Overton coins auctioned at the 2013 ANA. All of the graded ones were in old, no-line fatties. Here's a slideshow of them all (including some raw ones).

Lance.

I never payed enough attention to notice that. I take it that the ones with the line in the plastic, as I posted, would be what is referred to as a 'Soap Bar' slab then? Or am I confusing that too?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that they changed from the "fatty" and added a line below the label to prevent the gases from the paper to reach the coin. Which caused oxidation. At the same time the slab got a little narrower, hence the term "no line fatty"

I routinely had my scratched holders replaced by new holders, but here are some NGC 4 holdered coins that I did not reholder.

1867ShieldNRDDON63-78front.jpg

1867ShieldNRDDON63-78obv.jpg

1867ShieldNRDDON63-78rev.jpg

1909DHEagleN5823.jpg

1909DHEagleN5823obv.jpg

1909DHEagleN5823rev.jpg

1911HEagleN58-88front.jpg

1911HEagleN58-88obv.jpg

1911HEagleN58-88rev.jpg