• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stack's Browers Galleries

17 posts in this topic

Well had an interesting experience on Stack's live auction this morning. Had a coin I was bidding on and for the life of me I couldn't get my computer to accept the a bid on the coin. I had no open bids so it should have gone through just fine. I waited until a cheap coin rolled through and waited for the auction to close and then I clicked bid again trying to get my computer to focus on the button... They accepted the bid after the auction was closed...

I haven't done a lot of auctions before other than ebay but after the hammer drops I thought it was finalized. So my trying to figure out what was going on with my computer interacting with their app I've ended up probably purchasing a coin.

That is odd Eric.

I had a problem with the recent Heritage Signature auction. Prior to the live session, I was high bidder on a 1887 MS66* Morgan. When it hit the live auction, my screen froze and I lost the coin by one bid.

Funny how things worked, because I just won a 1887 MS66* at Stacks this morning and paid over $300 less than I would have had to for the Heritage coin. The toning on the Heritage coin was a little nicer, but to get a toned MS66* below retail was a nice surprise.

What coin were you bidding on? I'd like to check it out by lot #.

Edit to add:

I was at the Indiana Numismatic Coin Show last Friday and saw some outrageously toned coins showed by a dealer from WI. He'll be at the Baltimore Show. Some of the coins he had were so vivid and amazing. His asking prices were as amazing (on the high side) as his coins. I like the blue toned Morgan in your avatar.

JPC- was playing around with some low ball bids at prices insanley low and won every damn one of them!!! And before the toned Morgan lots were even over a dealer text me this coin before he placed it on his site....

Uno_zpsc27de2c7.jpg

Dimefreak - too funny. How many coins did you end up winning?

I attended the Indiana Numismatic Coin Show in Indy on Nov. 1st. I met James from Scottmans Auction. I bought one coin and enjoyed learning from him.

I also met Dennis King. He had some fantastically toned coins. Have either of you met this person or know about him? I'm sure you do, but I'd like to get your impression. He was very cool, but asking price for his coins were very high.

Dimefreak - too funny. How many coins did you end up winning?

I attended the Indiana Numismatic Coin Show in Indy on Nov. 1st. I met James from Scottmans Auction. I bought one coin and enjoyed learning from him.

I also met Dennis King. He had some fantastically toned coins. Have either of you met this person or know about him? I'm sure you do, but I'd like to get your impression. He was very cool, but asking price for his coins were very high.

5 in the stacks... we won't even speak about heritage yet. But that was truly 5 lots more than I wanted to win. I am really trying to walk away from toned Morgan's but I knew Larry Shapiro was at the stacks bowers and I'll be damned if I was going to let him steal Morgans out of the auction. As for Dennis King... he is good people! Of course his prices are going to be aggressive because if he sold half his stock how would he replace those toners by the time the next show came. But as far as Mint Set Toner material goes Dennis IMO takes the cake

Thanks Dimefreak.

He had an incredible inventory of toners in many series. I couldn't take my eyes off some of the Morgans. Just stunning. He has this orange one that was out of this world, but there were a couple others with the color progression that were fantastic. I'm running out of adjectives for his collection....lol.