• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

140 #1 Registry Sets posted by Dan Hughes

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Where does it end?

A little over a year ago I wrote a Journal entry that I hit the number 100 for #1 Registry Sets. Today I'm up to 140. Granted, the majority of them are sets with less than 10 slots in them and with the exception of 1 they are all World Coin sets. I can't believe the increase in output from some of the World Mints on the variety of coins being issued each year. The coins themselves have their own varieties. Colorized, Gilt, Proof, Mint State, Proof Colorized, etc. It has come to the point, for me anyway, that I need to pull back from buying every new release and start to focus on the series that I really enjoy. Sometimes I think the Canadian and Perth Mints compete with each other to see who can put out the most coins in a year. They don't even wait for the new year to begin before issuing coins dated for that year. I aleady have the 2014 Lunar Horse from both mints. The Proof, Colorized, Proof Colorized, Gilt, Mint State, Lotus Shape, Horse Privy, etc. When I can no longer remember whether I bought a certain variety of a coin and have to look it up, it's time for me to step back and do a reality check. I think I'll use next years coin purchase budget and go on a nice long cruise.

14625.jpg

See more journals by Dan Hughes

Congrats on the 140! Still working on my first. How do you remember what sets you have? I only have a few -all US- and I have to look. Gotta couple top 10ers but a first is a ways away I think. Enjoy your coins! BTW Nice coin! My daughter would really like it! :grin:

I agree with you that both the Australian and Canadian mint are issuing a dazzling number of bullion coins these days. I often point this out to ASE collectors who complain about all the variants the U.S. Mint is issuing.

I recently bought the 2014 Canada $10 Year of the Horse "coin", both raw and slabbed. I think it's a very cool design. I don't collect any of the bullion coins for registry purposes. I just collect the ones in which I think the design is cool.

Congrats on 140!