• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prices for World coins

2 posts in this topic

Hello. I have two questions.1) I don't understand why NGC and the Krause catalogue don't list prices for well-known countries and their coins in lower conditions like G, VG, and F. For instance, I have some 5 franc coins from France in the 19th century and prices are only listed for VF in many if not all cases. The same goes for smaller denominations for this country. Some of my coins have less than 1 million mintages but since there's no basal or starting grade in Good, I don't know what these coins are worth if they aren't in VF 20. US coins, especially lower mintage ones and older ones, have grades all the way from G to mint state grades, and sometimes even AG is listed. Why not the same for France, Great Britain, etc.???

2) For world coins, or all coins in general, if a coin has a grade of VF 30, is the price for this grade exactly the midpoint between the VF 20 price and the XF40 price?

Hopefully you can answer these questions.

• Administrator

Thanks for the questions and feedback. World Coin Price Guide values are independently compiled by Krause Publications' NumisMaster and provided to NGC under a license agreement. NGC does not control or assign any of the values listed in the World Coin Price Guide.

I don't think that you could assume that a VF 30 is always worth exactly the midpoint of the VF 20 value and XF 40 value. You may wish to consult a dealer or dealers who specialize in the series you are looking at.