• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "Not so Good" results are in! posted by Deerefan8420

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Although we don't always get the grades we are looking for, that doesn't mean it should discourage us from our pursuits.

Well, NGC posted the grades of my latest submission today and it is not at all what I had expected. The grades are as follows:

5) 1955-S Roosevelt Dimes

1- MS65

2- MS66

1- MS67

1- Improperly Cleaned (Not sure I agree with this as there were no visible signs of cleaning when I examined the coin, plus the coin came from an original roll.)

5) 1960 Roosevelt Dimes

2- MS65

3- MS65 FT

I thought for sure each of these coins would have graded at least MS66 or higher and the MS65 grades are really disappointing. These 5 coins were the absolute best out of the 50 coin roll, which were also from an Original Roll.

1984 Lincoln Cent- MS66RD

1984-D Lincoln Cent- MS66RD

I don't even know what to say about these. I thought these coins were a lock at MS67RD. Although I am sonewhat disappointed in the grades, I can now use these coins as a comparison for the Lincoln Cents I have picked out for my birthyear set.

2004-D Lincoln Cent- Altered Color

My initial feelings about this coin seem to have held true in the grading room. I consider it a $14 learning experience and I'm not too much worried about the cost of the grading fees. I will hang out to this coin for reference in the future.

1984-D Jefferson Nickel- MS65 5FS

Although I am unhappy with the MS65 grade, I do feel that I was able to pick out the FS designation with some certainty. I will also use this coin to help out with the screening process of the other Jefferson Nickels I have selected for my birth year set.

1984-D Roosevelt Dime- MS65

I think I'll just crack this one out, put it in my change jar and try to forget all about it! Haha! Seriously though, I will use it as a reference while selecting the best possible Dimes for my birth year set.

1889 Morgan Dollar- MS64

Although it did not receive the * designation, it did receive the same grade as it previously held. I knew it didn't have the meat for a full point upgrade, but I still feel it is deserving of a * designation.

Even though I am not too happy with the grades I received on this latest submission, it has not discouraged me in any way in my pursuits. I will continue to improve my grading abilities and I hope to have much better success on my next submission, which should go out in the next couple of weeks. The 1984 coins will go into my new birth year registry set as slot fillers until I can start the upgrade process.

Thanks for reading and, as always, Happy Collecting!

See more journals by Deerefan8420

Justin I am sorry to hear that your grades given were done so in such a haphazard manner. I guess that is just the way the grading process goes for many. But just as you are let down with those grades I can say, with a great amount of certainty, that at the very same time someone else is elated with their submission far exceeding their expectations.

Although we don't always get the grades we are looking for, that doesn't mean it should discourage us from our pursuits.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, in the same manner, and expecting a different result. That definition would not apply to the TPG submission process since the odds are grand that you will inevitably receive a different result, if not each time you submit the very same coin. Keep feeding that cash cow.

1- Improperly Cleaned (Not sure I agree with this as there were no visible signs of cleaning when I examined the coin, plus the coin came from an original roll.)

When there is no accountability for erroneously low grades, this type of grading mistake is probably encouraged since it garners high probability of re-submission, and thus increased revenue. Of-course I have no facts to back up that assertion so for that reason it will just remain as my cynical opinion.

I can now use these coins as a comparison for the Lincoln Cents I have picked out for my birthyear set.

I don't see how that can be used as a baseline when the curve is constantly changing. A completely arbitrary and subjective method that does not always follow the set and published grading standards.

Even though I am not too happy with the grades I received on this latest submission, it has not discouraged me in any way in my pursuits. I will continue to improve my grading abilities and I hope to have much better success on my next submission, which should go out in the next couple of weeks.

They appreciate your enthusiasm and optimistic approach, after all - it is this mentality that ensures a continuous revenue stream.

I wish you much better success on your next submission.

Justin,

The submission was a good try and actually a learning tool you can use to distinguish different grades later on before you submit more coins. On the 84 and 84-D MS66rd ----- were they clear, no hairlines with the flat tone look ( I call these copper cream puffs ) or were they full luster with a couple hairlines?

Bill,

It's good to hear from you. I agree with you in many of the points you made. I would like to think that NGC holds true to its assertion that the owners of the coins submitted for grading remain anonymous. I have to admit that although I spent a good amount of time examining each coin I sent in, I could have missed something along the way. As far as using the coins as a "Base Line", as you put it, I don't think that is what I intended for it to mean. I know that grading is subjective to each individual coin and to the person who holds it in their hand. All I meant was is that I could use those coins as a "Guide" in what I should look for and why the coins graded the way they did.

Justin,

The submission was a good try and actually a learning tool you can use to distinguish different grades later on before you submit more coins. On the 84 and 84-D MS66rd ----- were they clear, no hairlines with the flat tone look ( I call these copper cream puffs ) or were they full luster with a couple hairlines?

Rick,

Looking back over my notes on these particular coins, I do not see anything remarks or comments I made about the coins that would lead me to believe they would have graded lower than my estimates. From what I can remember though from having the coins in hand, each coin was a full Red color and had minimal hairlines(maybe 2-3, that were not distracting and not in any prime focal areas). I do think that the MS68 was a long shot, but these coins were far better than MS66 in my opinion.

I find it to be a great learning tool and once I get the coins back, I can look over them and see if there was anything that I had missed or maybe the luster just wasn't as strong as I had thought at the time.

I am about to do some images of a few Lincolns that are going in with my next submission. I'll post those here once I finish with them.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement guys!

Seriously for the 1984 / 2004 coins don't waste your time submitting raw coins to NGC to be graded. You can find most at the grade you want and at a very reasonable price on EBAY. This will save you a ton of money and wasted time waiting for NGC to disappoint you. It may not be exciting but it is a strategy that works very well. It is what I do with most modern U.S. coins.

Seriously for the 1984 / 2004 coins don't waste your time submitting raw coins to NGC to be graded. You can find most at the grade you want and at a very reasonable price on EBAY. This will save you a ton of money and wasted time waiting for NGC to disappoint you. It may not be exciting but it is a strategy that works very well. It is what I do with most modern U.S. coins.

While I do agree that it may be somewhat cheaper to acquire these coins in most grades at a relatively low cost on Ebay, or even at another auction venue, I do not think it is "wasted time". I am unhappy with some of the grades that I received on my lastest submission, but I am in no way disappointed in the lessons it has taught me.

For example, it has taught me to be more diligent in the selection process as I go through coins. It shows that I need to spend a bit more time with each coin and really examine it closely for those minor imperfections that may exist. But more importantly, it has taught me that even though we sometimes do not get what we want, it should not stop us from trying! I will continue to acquire coins for my set and I will continue to sort through them, pick out the best ones and then pick out the best of the best. And I will continue to submit them to NGC for grading.

I know some have sworn off some of the TPG's because of results like I received today. But it has not turned me off in the least.