• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1823/2 Coronet Head Large Cent

11 posts in this topic

DSCN2660_zps5de0d41f.jpg

DSCN2661_zps9c350ee2.jpg

Before submitting, I'm going to send it to NCS to get the green residue removed.

Found this 1823/2 Coronet Large cent with some of my grandfather's belongings after he passed away last week. He was not interested in coins one bit, but had this scarce large cent and an 1879-CC Morgan in a small wooden box with his WWII dog tags… a very interesting find in the belongings of a very interesting man.

The surfaces look slightly porous but stable. I agree that green spot must go. I like the color of it overall, and it looks to be an attractive coin.

I'd probably grade it F/VF (it will net somewhere around F I think, because of the problems).

That's a lovely example of a very difficult early copper coin. It has a lot of meat on the bones, and I think most any EAC collector would be proud to have that in their collection. I agree with Jason, it looks to be stable, with some porosity. I'm not sure on grade, but I'd throw a VF details guess at it.

KeeNoooo, I'll take some when I get home. It's in decent condition with original, gray surfaces. It's also a VAM 3 (I believe). I'm not a collector of VAMs, but it looks like all of the VAM 3s I've compared it too.

Thank you to all for providing a grade!

Grade Update:

The green residue was removed by NCS and it received a VF Details (ED) grade like everyone predicted. Thanks, again, for your help, and good job with the grade!

Tyler