• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading This 1853 Seated Lib Quarter

7 posts in this topic

Having a devil of a time with scanning, but this appears (other than the coloring) to be a very high quality Liberty Quarter. All of the detail in the word liberty on the shield, as well as the shield itself is very clear and precise. Likewise the rays on the back emanating from the eagle.

Any opinions on possible grading?

38017-SeatLibComp.jpg

38017-SeatLibComp.jpg.583fed140dc815906f91e9d4e395045b.jpg

This appears to be a wonderfully original EF40-EF45. It's probably closer to EF40 as there appears to be a mark on the right obverse and it's hard to see what is inside the spot on the eagle's right wing. Nice coin. It's tough to find nice original coins, but this is one of them.

I would call it as an XF45 or possibly an AU50. I tend toward the XF grade. Nice coin though. The Arrows and Rays Quarters are always in demand for Type Sets. Plus, I feel that they are very interesting coins in their own right.

I have scanned an AU55, 1853 Arrows & Rays Quarter for you (attached). You will notice the wear on: the right thigh, the left hand rock, her breasts, her right arm, her left hand and finally the side of her face. The scanned coin shows you the amount of wear on the leg and breasts. Oh, and I almost forgot, the cap above her left hand.

Your coin has more wear in these areas. It is this wear that usually determines the grade. I hope that this helps you grade.

P.S: I was going to give you a Reverse image but my scanner just crashed and burned. The wings, beak and shield are the criteria for the reverse.

589a8a9fb6fd2_38107-1853ARQuart.jpg.1cfa3a1883e3c9d08d8faccc5d56195e.jpg

thanks for the scan. I picked up a number of these in one collection and wouldn't mind moving a few out to finance the Walker, Franklin and Peace upgrades I am working on, as well as trying to fill in the Morgans.

sheesh! that's a lot of work!

did I mention the Mercs?

and the Washington upgrades?

and the Indians?

didn't think so!

I did manage to pick up a number of Indians, none in condition of note, but some rare dates. Lot's of work to do now!

It sounds as though this will keep you off the streets for awhile. If the other coins are as nice and clean as the quarter, IMHO you have acquired a collection worth the effort. tongue.gif