• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still waiting on the 1952 proof set posted by Six Mile Rick

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Tearing apart the Lincoln submission

Friends,

As I await the verdict of my 1952 proof set that was sent to NCS I have took some time to recheck the Lincolns for grade values. I have managed to delete 15 or so as to lower values than grading costs but still have a hefty 32 coins to submit.

On the "COOL" side one Lincoln -- MS66rd or so is the 2000 business strike with a double date!! I have found in the past that these varieties may not be listed and as such just get the regular grade. Hopefully this one will grab a variety slab.

Enjoy----Rick

14547.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

That double date looks so obvious. I am in agreement with you that this coin deserves the verity slab. With that said, however, would not the gash shown on the should of Lincoln bring the grade down some? Just wondering.

Keep on hunting and have a fun time doing so.

Semper Fi !

Jack

Thanks Jack. The very small hit on the shoulder is un noticeable for grading and is the reason I said MS66. Being on the shoulder is much better than in the fields. Remember this pic is around 100X. This coin has no hairlines or hits anywhere else. To get the variety it would need to already be in the data banks. I don't have a modern 5th edition of the cherry picker's guide so I can't check this date.

Looks like LIBERTY is doubled also. I will need to open the pic and check the rest of this obverse out.

IN GOD WE TRUST and LIBERTY is doubled. The date is actually tripled (One over the other and the softer one to the SE) I sure hope CONECA has this variety already. If not then I will need to send it to CONECA before I can shoot it to NGC.

Rick

Thanks Jack. The very small hit on the shoulder is un noticeable for grading and is the reason I said MS66. Being on the shoulder is much better than in the fields. Remember this pic is around 100X. This coin has no hairlines or hits anywhere else. To get the variety it would need to already be in the data banks. I don't have a modern 5th edition of the cherry picker's guide so I can't check this date.

Looks like LIBERTY is doubled also. I will need to open the pic and check the rest of this obverse out.

IN GOD WE TRUST and LIBERTY is doubled. I sure hope CONECA has this variety already. If not then I will need to send it to CONECA before I can shoot it to NGC.

Rick

Thanks for the info Rick...best of luck getting the variety!

Jeffrey,

That was a great question on the variety side. When you happen to find a new variety NGC is not CONECA and can not create a new variety label. If this 2000 DDO variety is new which will read doubling IN GOD WE TRUST, doubling LIBERTY, tripling in date, I will first need to send it to a CONECA expert to get listed for the new variety numbers. I have already sent pics to a old friend Steve Twitty of PQ Dollars and Gilbert Coins. I ran into him last weekend at the SC Numis Convention. His table was right up front and he was the editor for the program booklet. Great Guy!!!

Thanks Bud----Rick

Rick,

Nice looking double if it is indeed a double.

Are you sure it is a real DDO? Could be Mechanical Doubling or one of the other 5 kinds of doubling. I would strongly suggest sending a least a photo via email to John Wexler. He has a website, doubleddie.com, where he shows many types of doubling and has some information on the years that have doubling I think based on Coneca lists.

Check it out before you spend the money for grading it.

My two cent.

Michael

I can see some obvious doubling on the T and Y of LIBERTY that is showing in your picture...please post some more photos of the whole obverse...

Jackson,

I sent the top of the obverse as I think the full obverse will be too small to see the details that well. I don't know how to add pics to posts yet so I needed to do another journal.

Sorry----Rick