• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let the Waiting Begin! posted by Deerefan8420

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Recent submission, along with thoughts about grades and designations

Hello everyone! It's that time again for another long-winded journal entry. I'm usually a very quiet and reserved person but when I get to talking about things that I am passionate about, it seems that I am never at a loss for words! I hope you enjoy reading what I have to say and as always, any and all comments are welcome.

So NGC received my coin submissions today, 16 coins in total. 15 of those coins were submitted under the "Modern" grading tier and the last coin was submitted under the "Early Bird" grading tier. Here is a list of what I submitted and a brief description of each coin, along with my assessment of their grades:

5) 1955-S Roosevelt Dimes- MS66-MS68 (A couple of potential FT designations)

5) 1960-P Roosevelt Dimes- MS66-MS68 (Same potential of FT as above, also 2 of those coins are possible * designations)

- I bought two original rolls of Roosevelt Dimes and after several days of going through and examining each coin, I was able to narrow the first batch down to 30 coins(15 coins from each roll). Upon the second and closer examination, I was able to pick out the 5 best coins from each roll. Each coin has amazing luster, great strike(the P & D coins usually come with soft of mushy strikes, mostly from severely worn dies and inadequate striking pressure from the "S" Mint), and the Torch details are enough that I feel that there are 4-6 coins that should receive the designation. The fields are virtually free of any contact marks and there are only miniscule hairlines, but none in the prime focal areas. The coins are truly gem coins, in my opinion, and I hope that the graders at NGC feel the same.

1) 1984-P Lincoln Cent- MS67RD-MS68RD

1) 1984-D Lincoln Cent- MS68RD

Since my focus right now is on my birth year Mint Set, I decided to go ahead and submit these two coins. If they do grade out at MS68RD, then they will be in the top population of their respective grades(there are 3- 1984's in MS68RD and 10- 1984 D's in MS68RD). Each of these coins are fully red, with strong luster and excellent detail. No marks and virtually free of hairlines with one or two scattered in the Obverse fields. I feel that these coins should come back with grades of MS67RD or above.

1)1984-D Jefferson Nickel- MS66-MS67 (Possible FS designation as there is one tiny mark on the steps but I could not see where it disrupted the steps in anyway from being "Full")

1)1984-D Roosevelt Dime- MS66FT-MS67FT

These two coins both have great strikes, great luster, and although they probably won't grade higher than my assigned grade, they will be great set fillers until I can find upgrades for each. I did not submit the "P" 5c or 10c because they were not of the quality that I expect.

1) 2004-D Lincoln Cent- MS65RD*-MS67RD*

This coin is absolutely stunning. The colors on the Obverse are simply amazing! With each rotation in the light, you can see shades of pink, yellow, blue/green and light purple. I had questioned this coin as being "Artificially Toned" but I could not resist the temptation of sending it in. The luster is strong, and the strike is well above average. There are a couple of small marks in the right Obverse field which is why I assigned a lower estimate of grade. I hope that this coin will receive the * designation for the toning and if it does, it will be the only * designated coin in any grade for 2004. Keep your fingers crossed, I know I will!

The last coin I submitted is a Morgan Dollar that I recently purchased that was not * designated(it was graded and encapsulated before the * designation was being assigned). I'm hoping for a bump in grade with the added *.

Well, that is it for the submission to NGC. It will be an exciting, and tense, 12 days while I await the results from the grading room. In the meantime, I have received a few more Mint Sets to comb through to see what I can find. Have a great weekend. Thanks for reading!

Justin

See more journals by Deerefan8420

Justin,

If that 1984 P comes back in an MS68RD holder I will trade you my PCGS MS68RD example straight up. HeHe! Those are really tough to come by in that grade from NGC. I've been looking since 2005 and I only know where one of the three is today.

If you get them back in the grades you suggest you will indeed have a nice little package at the door in two weeks. Good luck on theml and be sure to share the results with us.

Have a great weekend!

Michael

Justin,

Good luck on those coins you sent in. My 1952 Proof set is still at NCS --- over 30 days. When they finally put grades on them and send them on home I have a large Lincoln group to send in.

Rick