• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any information on double strike date would be appreciated

2 posts in this topic

I am relatively new to collecting Morgan dollars. I bought this coin on Ebay as an 1878 8TF. When I was able to take a closer look at it I noticed it has a double date and 10 double stars. The other two stars may be doubled but it is not obvious. Nothing else seems to be doubled. This is my first time posting pictures so I am not sure how good they are going to come out. The date and stars look like they were stamped and then the die shifted to the left and stamped again. My scanner does not do the coin justice. The coin has a strong strike with excellent detail and real nice luster with the cartwheel effect. The coin tends to look slightly proof like.

I would appreciate any information you can give me regarding the VAM number, value, and grade.

1878DD1_zpse29108ae.jpg1878DD3_zps552cd265.jpg1878DD2_zps89ff83cd.jpg

You are probably going to have to provide some larger (very detailed) pictures before you can get a VAM ID from anyone.

This is the VAM Page for that 1878 Philadelphia for you to see just how many different varieties there are. You might be able to determine yourself since you have it in hand and just go through the process of elimination.

Hope that helps you out.