• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1873 Trade Dollar Patterns – Interesting Letter 1874

7 posts in this topic

April 1, 1874 - Director Linderman to Superintendent Pollock:

It would appear that the number of experimental trade dollars struck are not sufficient to meet the demand of collectors and others.

In order to avoid complaints on this subject, it will be necessary that a rule be adopted which shall fix the number to be struck of any one pattern piece, and give all parties an opportunity to obtain them…

The year in which the experimental dies were made having passed, it will be necessary under the regulations, for special authority to be given if any more pattern trade dollars are to be struck. A conclusion on this point had better be arrived at, and if it is regarded as advisable to strike a certain additional number, have them struck and the dies defaced…

I was under the impression that we struck in former years about one hundred sets, but I do not find any record on the subject in the circulars, etc. on file in this office.

TDN - Have you heard of the letter's content among Trade Dollar experts? (My copy of Willem is boxed prior to moving, but I do not recall this being in it.)