• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelt Dime Error?

6 posts in this topic

I bought this little dime the other day (1946 P, PCGS MS 66, Benson Pedigree) and found something a little odd on Roosevelt's nose. Check it out:

XXQBt1xl.jpg

XXQBt1x.jpg

There are three small blobs of metal on the top of Roosevelt's nose. Is this considered an error? If so, what kind of error? Could it be a strike-through? Thanks board. Sorry for the poor photo. It's from my cell.

To tell you the truth, I couldn't get close-up pictures like that on my Nikon, let alone my iPhone4. Those are amazing.

On those marks, that's no struck-through. A struck-through will show as an indent. I don't know what that is.

I would say that it a die chip which would make it a die state, not an error. A tiny part of steel separated from the die which results in a pit in the die which creates lump on the coin.

What it looks like to me is a touched up die. It looks like they over polished the die slightly resulting in a flat field like area in front of the eye (but not enough to create a "broken nose") and someone touched up the die to try and restore some "depth" detail into the design recess.