• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the VAM?

15 posts in this topic

I know I already posted this coin here before, but I didn't have any good pics of the coin and couldn't get a final opinion on the VAM number.

let's try again..

These are not the variety-close-up type photos, but i think they are high quality enough to pick up some markers and maybe determine the VAM.

1900-O, and it is NGC MS63

thanks in advance for looking and for all comments and opinions!

27_zpsc845dd10.jpg

28_zps4a96ab38.jpg

27_zps1a492fdf.jpg

27-Copy_zps8c44f073.jpg

28-Copy2_zpsb7250744.jpg

28-Copy_zpsa828ea05.jpg

Thanks Bill. great work as usual with those varieties!

looks like you got it right. all the markers are there. i checked the link and the coin in there looks almost identical to mine.

NOW

I checked and neither NGC nor PCGS will attribute this VAM. VamWorld calls it R-6

I wonder if this variety carries any kind of premium?

I think all you can do is, if and when you go to sell it, just label it as an unattributed VAM-21D with a R-6 Rarity and hope someone is in that I-2 interest group.

They have a forum to buy and sell VAM's over there I think. You might find a taker there but I guess you would have to ask them what it's worth first. :eek:

Maybe someone else will chime in here and offer value opinions that knows about this stuff.

I think all you can do is, if and when you go to sell it, just label it as an unattributed VAM-21D with a R-6 Rarity and hope someone is in that I-2 interest group.

They have a forum to buy and sell VAM's over there I think. You might find a taker there but I guess you would have to ask them what it's worth first. :eek:

Maybe someone else will chime in here and offer value opinions that knows about this stuff.

thanks again for the help.

i just went back to the previous post i made of this coin and i saw that you said there it was a 21-D already. sorry, i missed this comment before.

thanks again!

cool pick up

I agree.

I really like well defined die cracks on Morgans.

I think in England some of the numismatist would consider those to be ADC (Artificial Die Cracks) ...... :whistle:

cool pick up

I agree.

I really like well defined die cracks on Morgans.

I think in England some of the numismatist would consider those to be ADC (Artificial Die Cracks) ...... :whistle:

Hahahaha wow yeah I bet they would..

I bought this coin because I liked the die cracks on it. The seller had it misattributed on his eBay listing (I knew it was not the VAM he claimed it to be), but it ended at a reasonable price so I grabbed it.

411B15F6-E7EA-44FB-9BF5-A87F280C9EE7-3825-0000033F738CF024_zpsfde24ef9.jpg

According to VAMworld, a 1900-O VAM 29-A in PCGS EF45 sold for $436 in Feb-2011. Looks like you made a great deal for that one! HAHA! Too bad it is misattributed though.

But I still feel like there is something going on with that MM. I have not found anything on it yet though. It matches the VAM 21-D that Bill pointed out earlier but that MM... There has to be something else going on there. I was hoping Messydesk would have commented on this one. I think he is one of the resident VAM gurus/masters here on the boards.

According to VAMworld, a 1900-O VAM 29-A in PCGS EF45 sold for $436 in Feb-2011. Looks like you made a great deal for that one! HAHA! Too bad it is misattributed though.

But I still feel like there is something going on with that MM. I have not found anything on it yet though. It matches the VAM 21-D that Bill pointed out earlier but that MM... There has to be something else going on there. I was hoping Messydesk would have commented on this one. I think he is one of the resident VAM gurus/masters here on the boards.

Yeah lol that what drew me to look at the coin. But then even when I realized it was not this VAM , I still like the coin @ $59.

From looking at the mint mark, the "second" O to the right looks like some kind of gunk/dirt on the coin, but I don't know how it formed there in the shape of the MM..?

Couldn't find much info online as for sales history of this VAM, but being R-6 I expect to at least double my money on it if I sold it on eBay.. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking ?

By the way, Justin here gets the credit for the excellent images!

I don't think it's dirt or any other gunk. When I was looking at it through my loupe, it seemed like the area to the right of the MM was raised. But it was hard to tell and since I do not have anything with a higher power than 8x, I can't say for certain what it is exactly. I would not sell it until I found out exactly what I had. That's my opinion though.

I don't think it's dirt or any other gunk. When I was looking at it through my loupe, it seemed like the area to the right of the MM was raised. But it was hard to tell and since I do not have anything with a higher power than 8x, I can't say for certain what it is exactly. I would not sell it until I found out exactly what I had. That's my opinion though.

What's a good way to get an expert opinion on the coin, that will not break my bank?

Jonny,

I have posted the example pictures of the MM on the VamWorld Wiki and I will let you know as soon as someone answers the question.

I only posted the pics of the MM since everything else matches the VAM-21D perfectly. If they advise to send it to Leroy Van Allen then I will get with you on that.

Bill

According to them it is still just a VAM21-D .

You ought to sign up over there so you can post questions, pictures, and also use the Buy and Sell section. If you were going to sell a VAM Morgan then that would probably be your best audience.

With as many morgans you were buying for a while I would imagine there are many more VAM's to identify.