• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade boxed U.S. Mint coins?

9 posts in this topic

I've inherited an extensive collection of U.S. coins that are still in their originally-issued U.S. Mint boxes. The coins range from proofs, uncirculated, commemoratives, etc., all still in their sealed hard-plastic or shrink-wrapped casings. Dates of issue range from early 1980's through 2008. Some are silver, some are gold.

I've created an extensive spreadsheet (still in progress) to inventory what I've got, if that's helpful to anyone who wants to see it.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it worthwhile to have these coins professionally graded?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, then does the grading process hurt the market/auction value of the coin, since the original packaging of the coin would be opened to permit grading to occur?

Many of these ultra modern commems and gold coins are worth significantly more when they are certified at MS70 or Proof 70. There is a reasonable chance you might have some 70s. Having a professional screen your coins, and sending the best ones in, is what I would recommend.

These coins are generally not sold with their original packaging, but keeping the packaging to sell with the coins would not hurt.

Some sets, like the 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle set from 2011, have to remain in the sealed shipping box to receive the pedigree to this set. That is the only instance I can think of where packaging matters in some way.

In most cases it is virtually impossible to get an MS-70. That grade is almost never assigned, but when it is, especially in a PCGS holder, the prices can be very high. BUT don't get excited very few coins ever make it; your odds are poor.

PR-70s are more common. Still it would be to your advantage to have the coins screened to remove any pieces that have no chance at all of making it. That will save you some grading fees. The way this market works is that the dealers who do it sell the PR-70s at a premium. They are lucky if they break even on the PR-69 pieces, lose money on anything lower.

The most hustle free way to get the money out of this material is to sell it as is, but you will not get a lot for it. There are a few better varieties, like Proof coins with missing mint marks, but once again those pieces are rare.

This thread just reminded me.. I have an unopened 1954 min box to submit for grading.. shall I or not, that is the question.

I take a "min box" is a Proof set, which came in a gray box. The Mint Sets came in an envelope.

You can't be sure what you might get from a mint sealed 1954 Proof set box. About 50% of the sets were housed in the old cellophane sleeves that were used for the 1950 to '53 sets. The other 50% were in slightly cloudy plastic sleeves that had a strong tendency to impart dark brown to black toning on the silver coins. If it is latter, chances are the coins will not be worth grading because they will have at least some dark toning that is almost impossible to remove. I believe that really nice 1954 Proof sets are a bit underrated for that reason.

This thread just reminded me.. I have an unopened 1954 min box to submit for grading.. shall I or not, that is the question.

I take a "min box" is a Proof set, which came in a gray box. The Mint Sets came in an envelope.

You can't be sure what you might get from a mint sealed 1954 Proof set box. About 50% of the sets were housed in the old cellophane sleeves that were used for the 1950 to '53 sets. The other 50% were in slightly cloudy plastic sleeves that had a strong tendency to impart dark brown to black toning on the silver coins. If it is latter, chances are the coins will not be worth grading because they will have at least some dark toning that is almost impossible to remove. I believe that really nice 1954 Proof sets are a bit underrated for that reason.

It seems my fat fingers were moving faster than my brain. Yes, its a proof set in the gray box.

Kenneth,

I'd go ahead and open it to see exactly what's there. It's value unopened might be a bit higher if you were looking to to sell it but if you wish to keep it you need to know what you have there.

I'm a pretty strong believer that mint sets in the manilla envelope need to be "rescued" before they overcook, the same logic applies to Proof Sets for the reasons outlined by Bill Jones.

In other words, they can only get worse.

OP........

Find a Coin Shop Owner and have him show you which (if any) to submit for grading. Coin shops can even submit on your behalf but you really should just join here or across the street and do it the least expensive way yourself. I'd keep the original packaging and provide it to any purchaser. It cannot hurt.

1) Is it worthwhile to have these coins professionally graded?

Probably not.

You will spend a lot of money on grading fees that quite likely will not add to the value of any of the coins you have. There may be a coin or two here or there that would benefit, but close inspection by someone with a lot of experience and success doing this will be required to determine that.