• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike America The Beautiful Quarter

5 posts in this topic

So, when the ATB quarters came out, we were quickly inundated with prooflike and deep prooflike examples of the hockeypucks. The 5-ounce bullion versions seem to come quite often in this reflective state, and while they are attractive, they aren't really coins. The prooflike version of the actual quarters, however, are quite a different story. For a modern coin, they are extremely hard to find! Only a few types come PL, and nearly half of these are from a single issue.

By far the most common of these is the Great Basin quarter, from the San Francisco mint. 10 of them have been graded, all of them at 67PL. When I saw this coin on Ebay for a reasonable price, I quickly added it to my set. In hand, the mirrors are strong and the fields are free of blemishes. There are a few inconsequential marks, but I was pleased to make this coin mine.

Post your PL ATB quarters (or hockey pucks, if you've got them!)

IMG_0976copy_zps14b97a16.jpg

IMG_0975copy_zpsd9b98aa2.jpg

Nice! I didn't realize these came in PL. I was first exposed to PL coins through the 5 ounce ATBs a few years ago. I'd probably buy one of these if I can find it, once I manage to get back to buying from selling mode.

Currently I see only one on ebay for more than twice the price of the one recently sold one.... :)

Nice! I didn't realize these came in PL. I was first exposed to PL coins through the 5 ounce ATBs a few years ago. I'd probably buy one of these if I can find it, once I manage to get back to buying from selling mode.

Currently I see only one on ebay for more than twice the price of the one recently sold one.... :)

I am aware of two of the quarters currently on Ebay (and as far as I know, they were the only two on Ebay). One is a Chaco Culture, and one is a Great Basin. Both are listed as BINs, and both are asking the ridiculous price of $300 or more.

I love prooflike coins - if you want to see more, I am assembling a type set. It is linked in my signature below.