• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TONER - 1892 Great Britain Half Crown (Victoria Jubilee Head) -- GRADE POSTED

10 posts in this topic

I went to the MOON show today in the Minneapolis, MN area. I wasn't going to look for anything in particular, but had quite a long list of things on my want list. A British Half Crown with St. George (on horseback of course) on the reverse at 6 o'clock (splitting the date) was one of those coins.

I am very happy with this new coin, which is graded by one of the top two TPGs in a problem-free holder. The holder is an older generation, and has a few scuffs here and there. After much buffing, the best pics I could muster are below. You be the judge -- what grade do you think she got? hm

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_GTG_Toned_composite_zps2b76d1ce.jpg

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_GTG_obv_zpsdaf58672.jpg

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_GTG_rev_zpsf98a19e3.jpg

That's either an AU58 or a 64 star! She is just gorgeous but it almost seems like a slight bit of rub on the reverse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they give stars to foreign coins (although they should, and this one would be a clear winner).

That's either an AU58 or a 64 star! She is just gorgeous but it almost seems like a slight bit of rub on the reverse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they give stars to foreign coins (although they should, and this one would be a clear winner).

That is correct, NGC does not give the star designation to foreign (non-USA) coins. However, I have seen the star used on ancient coins with particularly nice surfaces or eye appeal. I'll post the grade on this one later today or tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies so far. :)

The slight flatness of the hair by the forehead makes me want to say AU58 but not knowing the series perhaps that is an area that did not always strike up fully?

This coin is in an old green holder, graded MS64 by PCGS. I agree with the grade, and despite some of the toning patterns, there is certainly no rub on this coin in hand. It is struck up well, with the only very small distraction being a spot on the reverse to the left of the upper lion of the shield.

Even with a relatively large mintage of 1.71 million coins for the date, there are surprisingly few of the 1892 Half Crowns graded by PCGS and NGC (only 18 total coins between the two TPGs).

PCGS: 11 total

8 in MS64

2 in MS65

1 in MS66

NGC: 7 total

1 in MS61

1 in MS63

5 in MS64

Thanks for all the kind comments and guesses.

-Brandon

================================

1892_GreatBritain_HalfCrown_PCGS_MS64_Toned_composite_zps0bff298a.jpg