• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another interesting edge, this time an Overdate (1829/27)

8 posts in this topic

It is probable that the word "half" was under the prongs.

Still, not a rare or scarce error

Now, if it had been doubled, or missing, that would be neat

Not enough room for the whole word HALF, and there are pinches on that point and the opposite point where there is no lettering, so it is safe to say that either HALF is mushed into an illegible blob in a very small space (you cant see even part of a letter on either side of the prong) or it is missing altogether.

The edge dies for these coins were two pieces each with half the inscription. One read FIFTY CENTS OR, and the other read HALF A DOLLAR. If the Castaining machine was not fully run back to the correct starting position it would be very easy for one or more letters of HALF to be missing.

If the Castaining machine was not fully run back to the correct starting position it would be very easy for one or more letters of HALF to be missing.

Here are two examples I have that shows this (not sure how you got such clear pictures of yours MBA)

My 1834, says "ORLF".....

1834-ORLF_zps1cb1fce4.jpg

and the 1836 I referred to above, although after taking the pics it does appear there is a partial "F".......

1836-OA_zpsfed9c9e8.jpg