• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding good dealer

6 posts in this topic

This is my first posting on any forum of any kind.

I have been an obsessed coin collector for years, but of U.S. coins.

My Mother was English. My Dad was an avid coin collector of lower to average grade stuff. He never got into certified coins.

I have been sitting on a hoard of run of the mill English stuff since my Dad died over 10 years ago. All of this stuff was brought back from family trips to the U.K. For whatever reason, this stuff has more sentimental value than the U.S. coins he left me. The date range mostly runs from early Victoria to the 1970's. the sheer bulk alone should bring a nice sum.

I am finally ready to turn loose of this stuff. I want to turn this bulk into a few nice pieces. I'm not yet sure what a few means, but I am sure I will figure it out.

My point to this post is this:Will someone recommend a trustworthy dealer in British coins who would be willing to work with me to go through the stuff that now fills shoeboxes and albums of 2x2s to upgrade the collection into a more manageable set? I think I know the monarchs on whom I would like to focus, at least to start. But I want advice and guidance like I provide clients in my own profession. I do know dealers in U.S. material but none really any with a U.K. Focus.

Suggestions?

I do not buy from dealers much but I think your chances are not good. If your collection or hoard is as large as you imply, I do not see that it will really be worth a dealer's time.

In 2006, I also sold off a lot of "stuff' I had accumulated to that point in time. I sold about 100 lots (mostly ungraded) on Ebay. Subsequently, I usually sold ungraded lots with multiple coins to reduce the administrative tasks because the time and effort it took versus the prices I would have receivd if sold individually was not worth it to me.

I suspect that this may be your best option.

Although I do not know of any dealers off hand that really dabble in low grade world coins that would likely be willing to go through a large hoard like this I can say that your best bet is most likely on eBay in a group setting as world colonial already stated. With that being said if you have any George III or earlier British copper that is something that I would possibly have interest in depending on condition and price.

Thanks,

Don.

You have to look at it from a dealer's point of view. How is he/she going to make money on such a deal? Most common low-grade world coins trade by the pound (weight). Given the bulk you imply, it would take many hours to go through such a collection and an incredible amount of time afterward to try to resell it except as bulk. A dealer's time is as important as his inventory.

Suggestion, figure out the total face value of all of it, and then try to mark it up some percentage that you would be willing to accept above that face value figure (I suggest not more than 10%-30% but that is up to you). Take some good pictures yourself and do a comprehensive listing of what you have. Then either contact a dealer (having done a lot of the homework yourself), or list it on eBay and include a considerable amount for shipping. Sentimental value does not transfer. Or perhaps pick out a few pieces and do the rest. Good luck!

Best Regards,

George