• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel.

12 posts in this topic

It's difficult enough to provide meaningful grade guesses, based on excellent images. Unfortunately, yours make it harder, still.

The above notwithstanding, from what I can see, the coin looks like an MS65 to me.

Edited to add:

Because it does not look close to a 67, chances are that it's not worth resubmitting.

I would leave it where it is. It will not get a grade higher than MS-66, and if you crack it out you could get less. I've seen some painfully conservative grading on 1913 Type I Buffalo nickels because the coin is very common in Mint State.

You also have the advantage that it is in a rattle holder. The urban myth is that all of these coins will upgrade, which is not true. Some might; most don't.

I would leave it where it is. It will not get a grade higher than MS-66, and if you crack it out you could get less. I've seen some painfully conservative grading on 1913 Type I Buffalo nickels because the coin is very common in Mint State.

You also have the advantage that it is in a rattle holder. The urban myth is that all of these coins will upgrade, which is not true. Some might; most don't.

+1

Keep it in the Rattle holder – have someone submit it to CAC. A green bean in a rattler would give the coin a nice premium .

Ty Mr.Fields I always hope that u key in on my questions because I have alot of respect for ur opinions.

Mr. Fields' wife, Mrs. Fields, makes cookies.

+1

Keep it in the Rattle holder – have someone submit it to CAC. A green bean in a rattler would give the coin a nice premium .

I agree with this, rattler holders say one thing loudly, the coin is stable. That coin was holdered many yrs ago and has not turned or changed so it has not been doctored, that plus a green bean make it more valuable than a generic 66 in a new holder to many. And I also agree that an upgrade is unlikely.

+1

I agree with this, rattler holders say one thing loudly, the coin is stable. That coin was holdered many yrs ago and has not turned or changed so it has not been doctored, that plus a green bean make it more valuable than a generic 66 in a new holder to many. And I also agree that an upgrade is unlikely.

While I don't see anything which makes me think the coin has been doctored, to my knowledge, not all doctored coins show evidence of such, even many years later. So, the fact that a coin resides in an old holder and looks OK, does not necessarily mean it hasn't been doctored.

As an example, the color which a well known doctor imparted to many nickel coins long ago, is supposedly stable.

+1

Pretty much all the ones that could upgraded have already been resubmitted.

I'd keep it in the holder its in.