• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARRRRGH! Imaging Coins can be Really Frustrating

10 posts in this topic

Have you ever held a coin in your hand and just admired the intricate details and the spectacular kaleidoscope of colors? Then you try to image your coin just to find that the image looks nothing like the coin. Well I just bought this beautiful Conder Token for my seated images set and for the life of me I could not get the color in the picture to look like the token in my hand.

I tried different lighting and angles to no avail. I tried different edits in my raw format editor, nothing doing. My last hope was that I could figure out something in Photoshop Elements, but first I had to try to identify the problem by analyzing the token. The surface underneath the toning is proof-like in nature and by tilting the token at the right angle I can make out small glimpses of the tokens original mirror-like surface. Next there are splashes of pink toning on this token. Interestingly, my pictures regardless of the settings, picked this feature up well. However, the reddish hue of the token always turned up as a sickly pale orange. Now there are elements of orange in the color of this token, but certainly not this pale, and not over the entire token's surface. The reverse is more brown and I had no trouble reproducing the color of the reverse.

In photoshop elements I tried all the auto-fix features and the auto color tool made the token look horrid. On NGC holders the insert is white, so I often use the remove colorcast tool against the holder to set my white balance. On PCGS holders this can be usful to remove the blue tint that often accompanies that holder. The remove colorcast improved the tokens appearance somewhat and I went on to check other tools in photoshop.

After removing the color cast I went on to the brightness-contrast tool and the lighten-darken tool, but still couldnt get rid of that pale orange coloring. In the enhance colors tool I tried adjusting the hue and saturation levels, but the change in color would not match that of the token. Finally, I tried the correct skin tones tool and met with the success I am posting right now. Now I could do a stare and compare with assurance that the token in my hand closely resembles the picture on my computer monitor.

In the end there is no substitute for the human eye as all man-made, reproduced images fall short of the coin in your hand. We can only do our best and this one is my best. I often marvel at Gods wonderful creation when I think of the human eyes ability to capture color, details, and the panorama and color of a spectacular sunset! There is no picture that does a beautiful sunset justice.

Gary

14371.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Very nice job! I too have had similar problems. Not with that type of coin or token, but toned coins. It can be really frustrating, so frustrating that sometimes I just take the best I think I can do and give it a rest. Then I re-visit the coin and say I can improve that and continue on. For me the photography has added a whole new dimension to the coin collecting and I now enjoy the hobby much more. Keep it up, it looks great to me.

Gary,

You've done a really nice job with this coin!

You should check out the book Numismatic Photography 2nd Edition by Mark Goodwin, and his related website Mark Goodman Coin Photography. He's taken numismatic photography to a whole new level, turning the art into a science. He also offers photography as a service for $10 per coin.

Obviously I have not seen the coin in hand so only your eyes know what it should look like. But I like the original one better. However, that is not the point of taking the photo. One is supposed to capture the look of the coin as close as possible to what you see. Anyway good job. The challenge makes it more enjoyable when you finally capture it just right.

Obviously I have not seen the coin in hand so only your eyes know what it should look like. But I like the original one better. However, that is not the point of taking the photo. One is supposed to capture the look of the coin as close as possible to what you see. Anyway good job. The challenge makes it more enjoyable when you finally capture it just right.

Good points and technically speaking I agree that the original photo is also very nice. My problem is that once I saw the token in my hand, I was forever spoiled by anything less than replicating it to as close to the original as possible.

Gary

You do all so well in trying to show others how beautiful your coins are. We all do to an extent. If you take a steak, and put it in the freezer, it is not the same when you prepare it, as it was raw.

God gave us the best computer for seeing things. Mechanical devices only give us a good representation of what our eyes really see. You do wonderful work, and have for years. Be happy that you can see them as they really are. I enjoy everything you show to us.

Keep up the excellent work

Gary--100% understand your frustration. I especially get it from taking pics of my mercury dimes. Between the small size, shadows cast by the old holders around the rims and my inability to get the color right for photography without tilting the coin ( which then makes the coin on the photo tilted)...or I have to move the coin in just the right spot to get the light to highlight what my eye sees naturally--and of course that same light will then reflect off of the slab or leave a light ring on the coin--simply maddening.

What a great conder token--I wasn't aware that you had started an interest in these. I'll have to view your sets again and the custom listings ( It's also been a while since I visited the inspirational ladies so I'll check to see what you've added there as well)..happy hunting my friend...

Problem is technology is too good. Get an old film camera, take the coin outside so the sunlight gives the proper color, use a polaroid filter, very grey, and see if that helps. Print out the photograph, THEN take a digital pix and post it. If the digital still ruins it, then try a copy machine which saves to a file. Using all the natural light, and no digital may do it. It is a pain, but one pain replaces the other in this life huh?

Hope that helps. Sunlight is your best friend, just have to filter it, and protect from glare.

Capt. Brian the guesser