• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about German 5 Reichsmark

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

As many of you may know, I'm a big collector of German coins, particularly Imperial and Third Reich but I've stumbled upon something that I've never heard of and I need some help. The seller has it listed as a 1936-A With Swastika Matte Proof 5 Reichsmark. If this coin was graded by NGC, I'd be snapping it up in a second but it isn't.....it's graded by PCGS, who I don't really trust for non-US grading. My question is this: Has anyone else on here heard of such a coin? As far as I know, all Third Reich proofs are brilliant or cameo. A Matte Proof would be very cool, but in a PCGS holder it has a shot at being a really nice business strike. Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!!

3rd Reich matte proofs do exist, although very scarce. For what it's worth, when considering the source and current seller, I have no doubt that the coin in question is a genuine matte proof. It came from a Grün sale in Germany. Regarding PCGS and world coins, I have personally seen more proof vs. MS grading errors from NGC than PCGS.