• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bit disappointed! posted by VUMC409

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I bought this coin over a four month period and very anxiously waited for its arrival.

This coin not only would have been a great addition to my Lincoln sets but fit very nicely into my younger brother's 1968 mint set, moving me closer in my #2 spot to #1.

I opened the package and as I do for every coin I buy got out my 30x glass and began inspecting it. Now before that I could notice something a little strange with my naked eye but I couldn't exactly tell what it was. When I inspected it with the 30 loop I was horrified.

To make sure I was seeing this correctly I brought out my Celestron microscope and confirmed what I thought was on the coin. I couldn't believe I had paid what I paid for this coin and not a single mention of it from the seller. I fully expected this to be a truly pristine coin with virtually no flaws whatsoever. I was SHOCKED!

I sent snapshot taken with my Celestron scope to another collector here on the CS and asked for an opinion. "Wow, what and ugly coin" was the response. Of course I whole heartedly agreed.

I contacted the seller (whose name will remain anonymous because my friend has successfully dealt with him many times) and was told it would not be a problem to swap the coin for another they had on eBay. So I sent the coin back and waited for the other coin to arrive. No coin after what I thought was a reasonable time so I contacted the seller again. I was told they did not have another in inventory and they questioned me as to why I was bothering them about the coin that NGC graded.

Now don't get me wrong, I know he had nothing to do with grading the coin. However, as the authorized NGC agent responsible for selling the coin, I believe they had everything to do with selling the coin at max price with no disclosure to the problems within. The only resolution was keep the coin or ask for a refund, which I did.

Now missing a chance to own one of the 16 graded examples the search goes on. I have found a coin of different date and MM to replace this with the funds I used for the 1968 D Lincoln in MS67RD. Hopefully, it will be here soon and I can brag about it instead.

Here is a picture of what I found with the Celestron microscope. What do my fellow members think of my decision to return the coin?

14363.jpg

See more journals by VUMC409

Michael, It depends entirely of how the coin was described to you, and were you allowed to see good photos. If it was described as pristine proof then you got screwed. If it was only called proof with NGC's grade then it is open to debate. You failed to give us the description. As far as the spots they look a lot like some of the toning I have seen on a lot of desirable coins. I think (personally) the cent stinks and would ask for a refund. Good luck and I hope your health has improved. I still want a shot at that cent you have. Send it to me and I'll send it in for you

As far as the spots they look a lot like some of the toning I have seen on a lot of desirable coins. I think (personally) the cent stinks and would ask for a refund. Good luck and I hope your health has improved.

+1

As I told you when you sent me the pixs, wow what an ugly coin. As a top mint state NGC red graded Lincoln memorial those spots should not appear at all and distract greatly from the value and eye appeal of this particular coin.

Wheat,

View the coin relisted on eBay for yourself. Virtually no description at all and the picture doesn't help much at all. Reads much like the original listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-D-Lincoln-Memorial-One-Cent-NGC-MS67RD-3653647-004-/281176768369?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item417770ff71

Michael

Michael

Something that has annoyed me for quite some time is E-Bay listings with crummy pictures. I followed your link and saw that had I not known what to look for, I certainly would have missed the defect you explained. For the money he is asking for that coin, you'd expect more.

In the past when I had run into a listing with crummy pictures I would buy the coin based on NGC's or PCGS's word. Perhaps I could get a deal because other prospective buyers would pass on the coin over the pictures and more often than not I have been happy with the coin I bought. Now I may have to rethink my position.

Gary

Wheat,

View the coin relisted on eBay for yourself. Virtually no description at all and the picture doesn't help much at all. Reads much like the original listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-D-Lincoln-Memorial-One-Cent-NGC-MS67RD-3653647-004-/281176768369?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item417770ff71

Michael

Michael,

these photos suck, and the description is not much either, other than calling it what it is according to NGC. I stopped using ebay years ago for this type experience and eBay's rip off policies. The spots should have been in the description which they were not, but again it it is what it is, you should be given a refund simply because it does not meet your standards no questions asked, however there are collectors out there that could be told that this is the start of fantastic toning and they would eat this up just waiting for the total change in the appearance. Again I personally think the coin stinks and you should be refunded. Good luck

wheat

Michael

Something that has annoyed me for quite some time is E-Bay listings with crummy pictures. I followed your link and saw that had I not known what to look for, I certainly would have missed the defect you explained. For the money he is asking for that coin, you'd expect more.

In the past when I had run into a listing with crummy pictures I would buy the coin based on NGC's or PCGS's word. Perhaps I could get a deal because other prospective buyers would pass on the coin over the pictures and more often than not I have been happy with the coin I bought. Now I may have to rethink my position.

Gary

CAC thank you

Whenever I bid on an NGC or PCGS certified coin on eBay, I always verify it first on their respective web sites. If an NGC coin is in one of the new edge view holders, this verification almost always includes pictures of both sides of the slab. These pictures are not perfect, but they're often better than the ones in the eBay listing. I checked out the cert verification for this coin (3653647-004) , and it looks like a great coin there too. I probably would have made the purchase based on NGC pictures.

You're lucky that the seller would refund your money for a certified coin. Many stipulate in the listing that all sales of certified coins are final, and offer no refunds. Good call on your part to send it back, and best of luck finding a replacement!

I've had a negative dealing with the same eBayer that sold you the cruddy Lincoln cent... I sold him a 1946-D MS66 Walker CAC verified that he returned without any warning. I would normally be OK with this, but when I got the coin back, the CAC sticker was scratched off on both of the elongated ends. eBay suggested I refuse to refund the money and send the coin back.

Michael, not sure if you notice how much he dropped the price on this coin vs the other in the same grade that he has listed. That just shows they no the coin is messed up but still won't say so in their listing.

To coin928 point.

I always ensure the seller accepts graded coins back before I will do business with the seller.

I receive a newsletter from PCGS. In the latest one it stated that looking at a coin with greater than 7x magnification is bad for grading.

@coin928

I typically do the same and did for this coin. As you saw, the NGC pictures were no help in revealing the problem on the coin. If I were to receive this coin from them I believe I would send it back and at least ask for a 67RB designation. If it continues to tone it will certainly receive that grade if it is ever resubmitted.

@yevrah1

There is no problem with the physical grade on this coin. I believe it does meet MS67 standards. The problem lies in the designation of RED. It should have been RED BROWN to begin with. I would not have even considered it then and the price would have probably reflected the red brown designation. As Doug pointed out they did reduce the price (still way over value of $312.50) but DID NOT list the problem on the coin. Of course PCGS would say that over 7% is bad for grading. I think NGC says 10%. I always use my 30x just to get a close up view of the coin. However, on this particular coin, even a 10x shows this horrible toning.

@all

Toning is, by alot of us here on the CS, a desirable thing on silver coins because it is thought to enhance the beauty of coins but is still subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Toning on Lincolns, even though attractive to some, like what I saw on my 1964 P MS67RB, is less desirable. It negatively effects the grade, the value, and the points as opposed to their silver partners where it usually increases all of the above points.

I did return the coin for a full refund and all has ended well with this coin except that I don't have it in my registry now. Thanks for all the comments.