• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC and error grading.... posted by Skeester

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

And I thought I had it...

Here I am...pretty confident about my submission...I know I have a dead ringer with the 1951 D/S FS-511 which, BTW, graded out as MS-62 RB, and pretty sure of all the other ones. NGC had other opinions. They were quick to tell me that my 1914 Dime had UNC details, and was improperly cleaned, but didn't recognize the die break on the reverse (probably 1/16-1/8 inch long). My 1946 D/D/D wasn't that, but it had it's own special little baggie with a sticker on IT, that read "Variety plus ... Strike Doubling only". My 1959 D cent came back as a MS-65, but didn't get recognized for the filled mint mark, and my 1963-D came back as MS 62, but didn't get recognized for the "O" in One Cent having extra metal in the top of the O.

After trying to calm down, I did call customer support, and inquire on why I spent an extra $75 to have coins graded normally, and not get the error recognition they deserve. I was told by the VERY kind and understanding lady "Sorry, but they weren't significant enough". A very polite way of saying "Shut up and color!

I do believe this is my last submission for anything, error or grading. I'm finding it to be less stressful to just go buy the slab off ebay. BTW, check it out to see these coins on there! lol Happy coin hunting!

14353.jpg

See more journals by Skeester

Skeester,

Don't feel left out. I had 8 varieties kicked out this year. A few were listed as too early in die stage. WHAT????

I guess that means it is ---- but it aint.

Later---

Yep. I called and spoke to a lady as well (maybe the same lady) about how long it was taking to get an Express Submission even entered into the system and I was basically given a non answer. She essentially told me that Express Service takes no priority over other submissions. (shrug)

I then received back grades that were depressing and no FB on a clear FB Mercury Dime. I felt the exact same way as you do and swore off of submitting anything else. I figured I was collecting coins and not slabs anyway. But I have since decided to give PCGS my business for a while and just see what happens. They have always been fair to me in the past; I hope nothing has changed.

NGC, and their not so concerned female employee that answered the phone and represented the company, did so in a very poor light and if this is what I can continue to expect from NGC then PCGS will get all my future submissions and I will see if they treat me like they have in the past.

Like a valued customer!

They seemed to actually pay attention to detail. I think NGC has now reached the point that they no longer need customers. Good for them. (thumbs u

I think NGC has now reached the point that they no longer need customers. Good for them. (thumbs u

I realy hope that NGC has turned a corner in which their grading will surpass that of PCGS and the values across the board will become equal or better. As it stands now--- I would rather have a FBL, FB, or FT NGC graded coin any day over PCGS choices of slack grading!!! :grin:

P.S. --- anyone want to trade ???

I realy hope that NGC has turned a corner in which their grading will surpass that of PCGS and the values across the board will become equal or better.

I would rather just see consistency from any TPG but that seems to be an impossible dream due to the nature of human error and subjectivity. Save that; good customer service is the next need on my list. I would guess that NGC normally does a good job at that but I think they failed in regards to the OP's journal entry as well as my experience on the phone with them.

Just unlucky I guess.