• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And yet another coin I'm pondering buying

7 posts in this topic

You guys been missing me? huh huh huh? hi.gif Been a long week. Jake, the love of my life, had a cancerous tumor removed, and I've been nursing him back to health. Caught it early, and the outlook is good. But, I had better stay on topic. Anyhoo, I'm thinking about buying this coin. The legend on the obverse is a bit weak at about 10 - 11 o'clock as you can see, but in all other regards, its a nice coin. Any opinions?

248.jpg

A crusader silver denier of Amaury, King of Jerusalem. 1163 - 1174.

AMALRICVS REX Cross pattee with annulets in second and third quarters.

+ DE IERVSALEM. Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

cf. Malloy # 23.

18mm. 0.9gm.

Found in Israel

I may be too picky regarding these coins considering how old the are but I don't like that coin.

The uneven strike doesn't bother me, but the porous damaged looking surfaces on the reverse do. Unless thsi is uper rare or you really need it for a set I'd hold out for a better coin.

On the other hand, the dog gets a hearty thumbsup2.gif.

-JamminJ

Hi Thing! Nice doggie! Glad Jake came thru it well. Best wishes for you and yours.! Email me once inawhiledammit!

JJ, I think you are right. I'm going to pass on that coin. I need to get the best example of each coin, and not an example of each coin. I should stick to my plan of full legends and nice patinas. And TJ, HI! hi.gif Hows you doin?

JJ, I think you are right. I'm going to pass on that coin. I need to get the best example of each coin, and not an example of each coin. I should stick to my plan of full legends and nice patinas.

Sounds good, I came to the same conclusion myself. Unless the coin is so exceptionally rare that I may never see another a well preserved specimen is the way to go.

-JamminJ