• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

America's Cup stays home. Post a coin with a ship on it.

19 posts in this topic

Down 8 - 1 around 2 weeks ago, the USA team came back yesterday to beat the New Zealand team and win the America's Cup 9 - 8. I live near San Francisco where the races were held, and was able to see these ships in action. They are AWESOME sailboats. They look like knives, and they can f'ing FLY. Post a coin with a ship on it in honor of the US retaining title to the Cup.

For those of you who didn't see any of the races, here's a link to yesterdays race. The start of the race is at about 15 minutes into the video, and the race goes for about 24 minutes.

1936BayBridgePCGS66obvHR006.jpg

1936BayBrHRrev004.jpg

Not a coin but a 4+ oz silver medal of a ship I once spent 4 years 1 month and 27 days on. On top of that, I was stationed on it for over a year in the bay area, Alameda. Myself and a buddy of mine spent a lot of time sailing near those million dollar plus vessels back in the day before they went to catamarans. They were something to behold.

entsilver_zpsdf396e3a.jpg

Thank you guys for your service.

That is a very cool medal of the Enterprise. :applause: I saw her in The Bay a few times in the 1980's, including one time when the pilot managed to run her aground.

Sy, that would be Bishops Rock! I wasn't there when that happened but I heard it was quite the spectacle. They apparently had all available hands on deck to run back and forth and to and fro to try and get her loose which it finally did. I believe it was the tide that got her loose! I was there from 88 - 89. Left just before the huge earthquake in October. At the time me and some buddies of mine lived in Concorde. The highway that we used to travel on at that time of day collapsed. Glad we weren't there. Of course the world series was ongoing so maybe we would have missed it anyway.

Sy, that would be Bishops Rock! I wasn't there when that happened but I heard it was quite the spectacle. They apparently had all available hands on deck to run back and forth and to and fro to try and get her loose which it finally did. I believe it was the tide that got her loose! I was there from 88 - 89. Left just before the huge earthquake in October. At the time me and some buddies of mine lived in Concorde. The highway that we used to travel on at that time of day collapsed. Glad we weren't there. Of course the world series was ongoing so maybe we would have missed it anyway.

That would be the Loma Prieta EQ of 89, 7.1 on the Richter scale. Happened during the pregame show of the first game of the Bay Series between SF and Oakland. Because of the live coverage, cameras were switched from Candlestick to show live the effects of the EQ on the Bay Area - Nimitz freeway flattened, Marina district buildings picked up the moved by liquifaction, segments of the Bay Bridge gone with cars driving off into the gaps, etc. The time was around 5 pm, so what should have been huge traffic and massive loss of life, turned out to be empty freeways as everyone was already home waiting for the first pitch. Freaked out the Giants, when the Series resumed, they were swept by the guys across the Bay. All good though, our Giants have moved on to win two of the last three!

Nice boats folks!

Best, HT

I'm still in a state of shock .

The whole nation was stunned and absolutely gutted . we were so close and yet just a little to far.

Super proud of the kiwis involved both in the kiwi boat and the American one . Hopefully next time the boats will be a little cheaper to construct and more teams will be into it .

Bring it on . Kiwis will be back with avengence :headbang:

I'm still in a state of shock .

The whole nation was stunned and absolutely gutted . we were so close and yet just a little to far.

Super proud of the kiwis involved both in the kiwi boat and the American one . Hopefully next time the boats will be a little cheaper to construct and more teams will be into it .

Bring it on . Kiwis will be back with avengence :headbang:

Congratulations to the Kiwis they did great, on both sides. :applause: