• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
5 5

2,550 posts in this topic

@Sandon :  This is the first coin of my birth year I have ever seen. Talk about eye appeal!  Simply beautiful!  (It's too bad our recently departed, long-time collector, D.L Lange, was never able to acquire a silver or gold bar of his year of birth from the S.F. branch mint)  Great find!  (thumbsu

20210223_182951.thumb.jpg.062f06588448e6c81686c185c25724bb.jpg20210223_183745.thumb.jpg.2060ded9c08bc2256fc5301eafe4b5d0.jpgHere's the coin I will be submitting shortly. On the submission form I will describe it as a "Giant cash coin" (China) it is large, thick and heavy. About 2" in diameter. Its former owner was an elderly shoemaker from China who set up his primitive stand right on Grand Street, Chinatown, NYC. The coin was in his shoebox. I had to make him an offer he couldn't refuse to part with it. It was in deplorable condition. I intend to try my hand at conservation using the advice on the "Never Clean Your Coins" topic by MM.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add photo and add'l narrative.

hi all    very nice coins. im impressed. which brings me to ask a question. what do i do with all my copper lincoln cents? i have been seperating them from the zinc for awhile and have about 10,000 copper cents. i know you cant melt them down. its against the law. i dont know any hoarders and what does a copper cent go for. thanks

On 6/29/2024 at 1:25 AM, Ezwolf said:

hi all    very nice coins. im impressed. which brings me to ask a question. what do i do with all my copper lincoln cents? i have been seperating them from the zinc for awhile and have about 10,000 copper cents. i know you cant melt them down. its against the law. i dont know any hoarders and what does a copper cent go for. thanks

I don't know of anyone that is paying over just the face value. That may change many years from now. Copper cents have about 3 cents of copper in them but it's not pure. The refining cost are too great to make it worth messing with.  You are correct, it's not legal to melt them right now. That will probably change in the future.

Welcome to the forum. 

On 6/28/2024 at 11:25 PM, Ezwolf said:

On 6/29/2024 at 3:51 AM, ldhair said:

I don't know of anyone that is paying over just the face value. That may change many years from now. Copper cents have about 3 cents of copper in them but it's not pure. The refining cost are too great to make it worth messing with.  You are correct, it's not legal to melt them right now. That will probably change in the future.

Welcome to the forum. 

Many dealers will pay 2 or 3 cents each for the copper metal value in the pre 1982 Lincoln cents.   You are correct that it is illegal to melt cent at this time.

I suggest you contact the coin dealers near you and inquire if any are interested in buying your coins.  

Also this thread is for collectors to share and show copper coins, general questions of this type should be a new thread posted in the newbie or US coins sections.

Edited by Coinbuf