• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
5 5

2,540 posts in this topic

@Sandon :  This is the first coin of my birth year I have ever seen. Talk about eye appeal!  Simply beautiful!  (It's too bad our recently departed, long-time collector, D.L Lange, was never able to acquire a silver or gold bar of his year of birth from the S.F. branch mint)  Great find!  (thumbsu

20210223_182951.thumb.jpg.062f06588448e6c81686c185c25724bb.jpg20210223_183745.thumb.jpg.2060ded9c08bc2256fc5301eafe4b5d0.jpgHere's the coin I will be submitting shortly. On the submission form I will describe it as a "Giant cash coin" (China) it is large, thick and heavy. About 2" in diameter. Its former owner was an elderly shoemaker from China who set up his primitive stand right on Grand Street, Chinatown, NYC. The coin was in his shoebox. I had to make him an offer he couldn't refuse to part with it. It was in deplorable condition. I intend to try my hand at conservation using the advice on the "Never Clean Your Coins" topic by MM.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add photo and add'l narrative.