• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prooflike 1955-S Lincoln Cent

17 posts in this topic

I recently went through a group of 58 BU Rolls of 1955-S cents and along with a big haul of RPMs, BIEs, nice toners, etc I found a single Prooflike Cent. Anyone else have examples of Prooflike 55-S Cents? Here's what it looks like:

IMG_3728_01.jpg

Ray,

I'm glad you posted that over here, I was surprised nobody commented ATS. I knew the prooflike guys here would appreciate it. Do you have a reverse picture?

Nick

It seems like the PL scene is a real niche market - and most of the most ardent fans hang out here. There are a few of us here who like the PLs.

I never took a reverse pic, but may take one later today.

I have a few other dates of Lincolns with Prooflike characteristics. As I remember 1949-S was a particularly good year and mint for them.

Seeing how not a single copper wheat cent has been designated prooflike by NGC they are extremely rare. The OP is the closest I have seen based off the pictures. I would definitely send that in to be graded, could be a winner even if it received a star for semi prooflike, it would be very desirable.

Nick

Seems to me that if there is going to be a PL cent, it would come from the San Fransisco Mint. At the time, they were getting their limited supply of dies from Philadelphia and from what we know, were more careful with pressing pressures and refurbishing. It was also the last year to carry the "S" mint mark until what, 1968.

I don't do Lincolns, but I do have some high grade examples of the 55-S as they were hoarded by the thousands. Nothing like this one thought.

Maybe it is just me, and I am NOT a Lincoln expert by any means, but the vertical lines bother me. Is that the plastic cover in the album, or are they on the coin?

Let me add that when lines like that show up on a Morgan, it comes back "improperly cleaned" usually.

Looking at it again, I guess it could also be die polish marks, since they do not seem to cross into the details.

MM

Maybe it is just me, and I am NOT a Lincoln expert by any means, but the vertical lines bother me. Is that the plastic cover in the album, or are they on the coin?

Let me add that when lines like that show up on a Morgan, it comes back "improperly cleaned" usually.

Looking at it again, I guess it could also be die polish marks, since they do not seem to cross into the details.

MM

Those are definitely die polish lines. The San Francisco mint in the late 30's through early 60's sometimes produced prooflike coins by repolishing the dies, and these all have heavy die polish. Take a brief look through my Registry set for a number of examples. Here is a PL Washington for comparison:

1947WashNGC65PLobv_04.jpg

1947WashNGC65PLrev_19.jpg

Maybe it is just me

No it is not just you. I asked a very similar question a day or so ago and no one would answer and tell me if that was what indicated it to be a PL Lincoln. I think the answer you got answered my question. Thanks for asking .... and it only took 11 minutes. Outstanding!

They must have been busy over in the "How we can help make this a better hobby and ensure it's survival" thread to answer my similar question. (shrug)