• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new Half Eagle...

6 posts in this topic

No spray paint here but some gold plating helped. devil.gif 1916-S PCGS 63 (ha! They fell for it!)

This is a "cheap date" in that it is FAR rarer than, say, the 09-D but costs little more. If this were Morgans we were talking here the date would be multiples of a common date.

The 16-S is similar to the 11-S in rarity but not as hard to find as the 15-S, 14-S, 13-S etc. And really not even close to the 09-O and 11-D. The main problem with Indian Halves is that they are simply hard to find NICE no matter the grade. There are many MS63 graded coins that just don't "grab" me, so to speak. This series has to be one of the worst made coins by the mint even with a seemingly easy metal to strike. And it wasn't the incuse that was the problem because the mint seemed to have no problem with the Quarter Eagles. I don't know...maybe they figured it out in time to crank out some nice 2.5s in the 20s but unfortunately the 5s were out of production by then (save only the usually well made 29-P). confused-smiley-013.gif

5d-16s_temp.jpg

jom

PS: BTW, this is one of the Kutasi coins from his set.

Jom,

Congrat's on your new half eagle! thumbsup2.gif You know I believe that half eagles really suit you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe you should consider concentrating on them exclusively and leaving the buffalos to other less sophisticated collectors, whoever they may be... confused-smiley-013.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifdevil.gif

John

Maybe you should consider concentrating on them exclusively and leaving the buffalos to other less sophisticated collectors

Keep dreamin', bub.

sprayman.gif

jom

Jom,

Congrat's on your new half eagle! thumbsup2.gif You know I believe that half eagles really suit you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Maybe you should consider concentrating on them exclusively and leaving the buffalos to other less sophisticated collectors, whoever they may be... confused-smiley-013.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifdevil.gif

John

This is a very good idea.

And jom, you should be congratulated on the quality of the transfer dies that you created to make that gold-plated plumbum '16-S 893applaud-thumb.gif You outdid yourself this time!

Hoot