• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Toning Experiment- The Beginning

3 posts in this topic

I had the opportunity a while back to purchase some Mint and Proof sets at quite a discount and so I bought them up. I think there were 3 Mint sets(1963), 5 Proof sets(1960-1964) and I was also able to purchase several 1965 SMS sets to complete the deal. Instead of trying to flip these sets, I decided I would try a little experiment.

After carefully removing all the coins from their cellophane packaging, I laid each set on one of the cardboard/paper inserts that come with the OGP. I took the other cardboard insert and laid it on top and tightly taped the two cardboard halves together(so I essentially have a coin sandwich). I made sure to leave a couple of air gaps in a couple of the "sandwiches" to see how that affects the toning of the coins on the inside. I also stored some of the "sandwiches" back into their original envelopes to see if that will also affect the toning process.

I have each set marked with their contents and the date they were sealed. I have also set 3-6 month open-intervals on each "sandwich" as well so that I can check the progression of the toning and take pictures at the different stages of the toning. All coins were lustrous and did not have any toning prior to being sealed. As of right now all the "sandwiches" are sitting on my desk in normal, room temperature conditions. I am open to suggestions about where to place the "sandwiches" to see what conditions effect the progression of the toning.

When I first began this experiment about a month ago, I had only "sandwiched" one Mint set(1963). I opened it up earlier today and there was some lovely, purple toning starting to form on one section of the reeded edge! Hopefully the toning continues and I come out with some beautiful coins!

Wish me luck!

I look forward to seeing your progress. It might be interesting to photograph a penny, nickel and one of the silver coins peridically to record your progress. My only suggestion would be to put the "experiment" in a humid area, however, where you live I don't think there is a lack of humidity.

I look forward to seeing your progress. It might be interesting to photograph a penny, nickel and one of the silver coins peridically to record your progress. My only suggestion would be to put the "experiment" in a humid area, however, where you live I don't think there is a lack of humidity.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing the progress and results as well! I will start posting the 3 month results in late October and they will progress into early December. The 6 month results should be ready between late February and Early March.

I was very excited to see the toning on the first set that I sealed up. Although the toning spot was small, I feel confident that the cardboard/paper inserts from the OGP will create the correct environment for some nice toning and beautiful colors!

As far as the humidity, we have plenty of that down here that's for sure! I may take one set and put it out in my storage shed to see what kind of effect that will create. It stays warm and humid here in Central Louisiana well into November!