• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1888 Belgian Congo 10 Centimes (large copper) -- Grade Posted

9 posts in this topic

Over the past 9 months or so, I have been putting together a small set of coppers; namely, the 1, 2, 5, and 10 centimes pieces from the late 1880s Belgian Congo, specifically looking for years 1887 or 1888. Well, I finally found the last piece for my small set of 4 coins.

Guess the grade on this 1888 10 Centimes. By copper standards, it's quite large at 35mm diameter -- about halfway between the diameter of a Morgan Dollar and a Walking Liberty Half Dollar. It has a reeded edge, which is also something I'm not used to seeing on copper. The holder is scratched up pretty badly on the reverse side, as you can see through the last "8" of the date, and at the top of the large star design. The luster is very nice, and surprised me quite a bit in hand as compared to the auction images.

1888_Belgian_Congo_NGC_10Centime_GTG_composite_zps0f4cf176.jpg

======================

And, just for the fun of it, here's a picture of the set of 4 coins as a whole (with proportional size maintained). I have seen the coin shown with the small star on the obverse at the bottom, and also at the top. I usually display my examples with the star at the bottom to make the text more legible. If I could find a reference stating whether the coins are coin or medallic orientation then I guess the matter would be settled. (shrug) Anyway, you get the point. :) This was a fun little copper set to put together.

belgian_congo_set_obv_complete_zpsf60dba5c.jpg

belgian_congo_set_rev_complete_zps95719bdd.jpg

No takers on the GTG, so here she is, followed by the other 3 coins in my small set.

1888_Belgian_Congo_NGC_10Centime_MS64RB_composite_zpsfe89db3e.jpg

1888-7_Belgian_Congo_5C_NGC_MS66RB_composite_zpsbfc925ce.jpg

2c_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zps24f38ead.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zps24f38ead.jpg'>

1888_Belgian_Congo_PCGS_1Centime_MS66RB_composite_zps3df5cf7a.jpg

I have not been on the forums much lately. I would have liked to have ventured a guess.

In any case they are all very attractive and this is the type of toning, strike, and color I like on my wheat cents.

I am always impressed with you collections and the way you collect. I sure wish I did not have to save every penny for the few coins I do buy so I could branch out a little more.

Congrats

Jim

I have not been on the forums much lately. I would have liked to have ventured a guess.

In any case they are all very attractive and this is the type of toning, strike, and color I like on my wheat cents.

I am always impressed with you collections and the way you collect. I sure wish I did not have to save every penny for the few coins I do buy so I could branch out a little more.

Congrats

Jim

Thanks Jim for the kind words. Collecting is a personal journey, no one takes the same road. I did the "hole filling" collection method for about 15 years, until I was sucked into the non-USA and exonumia arenas, and I never looked back. :) The ideas of what one likes in eye appeal transcend the series or country -- you have some of the nicest BN wheaties I have ever seen...and if I ever went back to collecting USA copper, I'd do it all BN this time. (thumbs u

Cheers,

-Brandon

What is holding it back from MS65? FWIW, I would have guessed MS65 RB.

Not exactly sure, but I'd fathom the couple carbon spots if I had to take a WAG. For some reason, the 10 centimes is a bear to find in MS65 or higher...there are lots available in MS62 and MS63 on the market, but most are very unattractive. I was happy to find this MS64RB.