• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In need of your expert help posted by wmfielding

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

wheel marks ???

Hello my fellow collectors.

I sent in a collection of 13 misc date Roosevelt dimes, And received the results today and was very very disappointed 4 of the dimes came back details wheel marks and 1 was improperly cleaned.I have never heard of wheel marks on coins can someone Please explain what they are and how to spot them? also is this something NCS can repair? I will post close up photos of the coins in question as soon as I receive them.

Any help would be most helpful as I hate wasting good money on bad coins.

Happy collecting and may God Bless ...Mike

See more journals by wmfielding

The only real difference between wheel marks and improperly cleaned is the power tool marks left by the instrument used for wheel marks. In other words wheel marks are what is left behind by a polishing wheel when someone is cleaning a coin. Improperly cleaned is when someone cleans a coin via chemical or by hand without a powered instrument resulting in damage to the coins surface.

I think I was confusing "whizzing with the wheel marks from counting machines.

I always heard that wheel marks are damage caused by the coin counting machines used by banks to prepare rolls of coins from loose mint bags. I don't think they are any form of cleaning.

The only real difference between wheel marks and improperly cleaned is the power tool marks left by the instrument used for wheel marks. In other words wheel marks are what is left behind by a polishing wheel when someone is cleaning a coin. Improperly cleaned is when someone cleans a coin via chemical or by hand without a powered instrument resulting in damage to the coins surface.

Agreed. I've never been able to exactly quantify what "wheel marks" mean but agree with the synopsis above. I'll further say that sometimes what NGC objects to are defects that occur at the mint - just had a 1971 Roosie come back "obverse wheel mark" on a coin that came directly from a mint set. So, whatever happened to that coin happened post coinage and prior to packaging - so it's more than likely a counting or sorting mark that is being labeled as damage. Perhaps this would be a good question for NGC on the Boards - to define wheel marks...

Todd

They are circumferential arcs made by counting machines or any other type of rotating device within a machine.

The mints “count” coins by weight now, but FRBs and commercial coin handlers use counting and rolling machines.

Wheel marks are easy to see. Look at the coin in the light with your 8X and you will find a clear rub mark from a rubber wheel. This is a defect from the mint on coins that get in the wrong spot and are kicked out with a rubber ejector I guess.

Place your mistakes on your grading table so you remember your mistakes for the next submission.

Rick