• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverse of the America Silver Eagle (ASE) - Ugly or What? posted by 00001AAA Coins

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Isn't it time the Mercanti Eagle was Dumped by the U.S. Mint in Favor of the A. Weinman Masterpiece or just about any other Eagle on the ASE?

While reading American Silver Eagles, 2nd Edition I came across both a wonderful section on Weinman's Walking Liberty Half Dollar as well as a nice section on American Eagles through the years. With so many outstanding Eagles to pick from it is hard to believe the U.S. Mint can't find anything better than the Mercanti Eagle to slap on the back of the ASE after more than 25 years.

In my opinion Mercanti's Eagle pales in comparison to Weinman's masterpiece. Looking at the 2013 Enhanced Uncirculated ASE I'd have loved to see Weinman's original Eagle on the back instead. Maybe for the 30th Anniversary I can get my wish from the U.S. Mint.

14288.jpg

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

I think it's beautiful compared to the shield on the new Lincolns (IMO, worst regular issue design ever).

I also think the Weinman eagle, the Morgan eagle, or even the Peace dollar eagle would be an improvement.

Poor old Pete is getting a little tired in the beak.

Why is it that the Gold and Platinum coins get a face change on a regular basis, but cheap old Silver(comparatively) isn't able to see the plastic surgeon for a face lift? Huh? H U H??

I'd also like to see the occasional "D" mint marked silver eagle.