• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 Seated Liberty Quarter Arrows

6 posts in this topic

The Seated Liberty design is my favorite in U.S. coin history. I'm not great at grading them yet, but my estimate on this one is AU53ish pushing AU55 (I'll say 53 as my guesstimate because the grading companies usually side with my lower guess). Let me know what your grade is. Also, if anyone has Briggs's encyclopedia on Seated quarters, I'd be more than happy to make an offer on it. I'm having trouble finding one.

This particular example has an interesting die crack on the reverse starting over the 'I' in UNITED and extending to the TED, shooting downward, then continuing to the ST in STATES. So subtle that I didn't notice it until after I bought the coin... love when that happens.

DSCN2643_zps97fadf26.jpg

DSCN2644_zps909454b0.jpg

I agree with the AU-55 sharpness grade, but what is the green stuff in the area of stars 5,6,8 and 9 and to the left of the date and the left arrow head? Is it PVC or some sort of silver oxide? If it is something that has worked it's way into the metal, that would make a problem piece.

Nice coin, only thing that bothers me is the crud around the stars. On my monitor some of that looks to have a greenish color, pvc? If not then a very good chance at AU55.