• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Coin collecting a Hobby or a Habit.

36 posts in this topic

I have been collecting on and off for over 40 years. From the 1980's to about a few years ago I attended a few major auctions a year as well as local coin shows where I bought the majority of my coins from. However once I got into Ebay I have been on the web like you constantly almost every day. Although Ebay has so much overgraded as well as counterfeit coins there are some truly great buying opportunities if you just look hard enough, and this causes me to spend more time searching that and other web sites. So in answer to your question its a disease but a rather pleasant one.

hobby, hot stuff

YOU ARE EITHER BORN A COIN COLLECTOR OR NOT........................

no matter how you introduce a young child to coins even with great coinage and nurchuring he is either a coin collector or not

coin collectors are not made they just are born this way or not.............................

That is a very true statement, I think. I collected coins and cool stuff as a kid and returned to the hobby once my career was was settled and I started earning disposable income.

I would venture to guess that most adult coin collectors share a similar experience.

I started out thinking it was a fairly save place to invest some money for any future disasters. It quickly turned into a hobby, one that lasted for slightly more than a month. It's now a very expensive habit, one which has brought on that future disaster that I was so concerned with.

There have been very few safe havens in this economy but I think that coins have fared better than stocks and other investment options. Having said that it is the quality of the coin that is the difference maker between profit and loss. Go slow and be willing to part with some coins just to learn the entire spectrum of the hobby. Selling has always been the hardest part for me. :(

I'll say it if nobody else is, it is a "Hobbit" & I will never stop because it always feels good when I make a good score, some people refer to drugs this way but I guess to us it's having a geat coin in your hand & taking that time to admire it until the next one comes along.