• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade thoughts on 1921 Morgan- thanks

9 posts in this topic

The details are excelent and the surfaces are clean, but it does have an strange look to it. I was thinking some PVC perhaps, or just the lighting/angle could be the issue. Anyway assuming that the surfaces are clean of problems I'd guess MS65 if the luster is better than the pic suggests.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have 18 of these 1921's that look in the same catagory to my untrained eyes.The following photos are two more. two photos with artificial light and one with natural light. The natural light is more the color of the coins.

These were bulk raw from the seller and paid nearly silver pricing Most of them have a bright luster with a few a slight thinge of toning ( left hand in photos).Do you folks thing these are most likely cleaned coins and what is the best way to market them. The details all look sharp.

Thanks

8jdb.th.jpg

If you bought them for close to melt then I'm guessing one of three things.

1 The seller thought thay were problem coins only worth silver value

2 Seller consider them as sliders and sold them as BU while silver was high to maximize profit.

3 Seller has no clue and you scored

If the seller was a dealer #3 is unlikely. If you have a local dealer around take them to him ;assuming the he was not the seller; and ask his opinion. An in-hand exam is far better than guessing from pics. If he gives them a clean bill of health then you have several options. You could pick the best one and have it graded, or list them on ebay, or hold untill later when silver goes up again. All of this depends on how much you paid in the first place.

Thanks Mark and coinbuf. Seller not a dealer and number 3 option. If I sell them based on the comments I would probably list at hi AU or possible MS.

Thanks again and any further comments welcome.

Skeeter ( George )

Looks like a 64/65 coin unless it's been cleaned. I see lots of blotches which could be a rinsing issue or contamination of some kind. That's one I'd need to have in hand.