• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926-D Peace Dollar - Care to guess?

11 posts in this topic

This coin has incredible luster and the mark that starts over in 'TRVST' and extends across the neck into the end of 'GOD' is actually from the die as well as the mark just above the 'L' in LIBERTY.

1926_D_Peace_Dollar_VAM_1c.png

Any opinions on what it would possibly grade?

Taking your comments into account, it should be an easy 65. The strike is all there, the luster is blistering, and the eye appeal makes gem in my book.

On the obverse, it looks as if there are lines on the face, in the left and right fields and beneath the Y in LIBERTY. The reverse fields look to show lines, as well. Accordingly, MS64 seems like the maximum grade for this coin.

I agree with 64 but whst does it matter since you aren't into slsbbed coins anymore! Just messin with ya Rob. I like the die cracks I've seen very similar before.

Yep! You got me. :grin:

I actually bought this one before my swearing off slabs and the luster was so incredible to me that after looking at the prices, even at 64, I just had to send it in along with a 1935-S Mercury.

I guess it looks like it will be Monday before I know what they grade it at unless they rush through a bunch of coins.

I will make sure and post results but I would imagine it might be a 64 as well.

Thanks for the opinions.

As I said I would post the results from NGC's grading I am following through regrettably.

I Struck Out! :pullhair:

I think the biggest waste of money I have made since becoming involved with Bullion and then Coins and Paper Currency was buying the book "The Official AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION Grading Standards for United States Coins". Total waste of ink as as far as I am concerned.

This book has essentially been useless when it comes to NGC Grading.

The coin, which has more luster than any other Peace Dollar, Morgan, Quarter, Dime, Nickel, hell anything, I have put my hands on would only bring a MS63.

I did not loose money but after comparing this coin to countless others prior to submitting (and seeing so many other examples with many, many marks on the face, gouges on the lips, multiple marks in the fields get MS65) I can only say I am completely confused as to how they could come to a MS63 on this one.

Now I know that some will say that the photos you looked at of other coins might not have presented the piece in a good light. Well poppycock!

If there is anyone who is going to take the best possible picture of a coin it is going to be the Auction Houses that depend on quality pictures to generate interest and subsequent bids.

Well enough whining on that Peace Dollar. I am disturbed, however, that they also low balled my 1935-S Mercury Dime. They only gave it a MS61 and no FB, which it clearly has. I went back and made sure that I did write FB on the submission form and sure enough I did.

I am fully aware that FB would mean absolutely nothing at MS61 so I am not nearly as steamed at that grade or lack of designation but this Peace Dollar is the one that generates the most aggravation and dis-belief.

Ok. Rant over. I feel so much better now. lol

Btw; Here is an MS64 It looks so much better than my MS63!!!

141240.jpg.9877d29961014f23a5e1f3011861578c.jpg

141241.jpg.0fb15bb64330c8deedf08fee8061f6af.jpg