• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade in 1st post: 1833 Capped Bust 10c

15 posts in this topic

The "grade-flation" conversation in another thread got me thinking about my PCGS problem-free dime that might be over-graded. ;) What grade would you assign?

Thank you for all the grades and comments. PCGS said VF35 which I felt was generous. It does have nice color and original surfaces which would put the market grade at VF30 IMHO. I guess in the old days it would simply be "Choice Very Fine" with all jockeying for 25, 30, or 35 aside. Thanks again!

1833CBDslab_zps75dfa717.jpg

1833CBDobv_zps7d0561fe.jpg

1833CBDrev_zps00843ce6.jpg

At first glance the obverse said 35 but then I saw the reverse. I think overall a 30 is a good grade for the coin. Or at least that's the kind of money I'd pay. Mushy strike on the reverse as Mark T eluded to.

I think 30 is a bit strong, but the strike on these is all over the place. At some point, you can't really blame strike any more and just have to say "there is a lack of detail" and knock the grade down for it. If it was technically graded 30, I would be likely to pay a 20 or 25 price for it.

The surfaces and color are fantastic, though.

The "grade-flation" conversation in another thread got me thinking about my PCGS problem-free dime that might be over-graded. ;) What grade would you assign?

Thank you for all the grades and comments. PCGS said VF35 which I felt was generous. It does have nice color and original surfaces which would put the market grade at VF30 IMHO. I guess in the old days it would simply be "Choice Very Fine" with all jockeying for 25, 30, or 35 aside. Thanks again!

I think they nailed it. ;)