• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Beginning

9 posts in this topic

Anyone else still have their first coin that got them into the hobby? I have mine thanks to my wife telling me I couldn't sell it about a year later. Its one of my favorites now just because of what it represents.

PCGS MS65

1938D-BuffaloMedium.jpg

I still have most of my blue Whitmans from the 50's with original coins in it. Any improvements/upgrades went into a Dansco if I continued collecting when I started again in 2000. No idea what my first graded coin was :(

I still have the first two for which I paid more than face value, an 1846 large cent and an 1838 half dime, both in Good condition. I was ten years old when I bought them from my mother's cleaning lady.

The coin that got me started when I found it in the local park. Back then I was a 12 yo boy looking at a naked boob. I was forever hooked. It was in a lot better shape before years of being carried as a pocket piece.

pocketpieceo.jpgpocketpiecer.jpg

The first coin I bought. The dealer refused to sell it to me until I was able to explain to his satisfaction why I wanted this particular coin instead of one of the others he had on display. Wow, imagine that, a dealer who actually thinks his customer should learn something about the hobby before plunking down his money.

1794-S56o.jpg1794-S56r.jpg

I don't have the first coin I bought, but I do have the first coin I bought specifically because I liked the toning on it (circa 1988).

1944-DMercObv_007.jpg

1944-DMercRev_005.jpg

Yes but no pics as it was a group of well worn Indian cents given to me by my grandmother. And I also have my first slabbed coin, an important key date for my core series. Still in its original rattler holder.

1909svdbobvmd_zpsc744bafd.jpg

1909svdbrevmd_zps7fc322f4.jpg

I don't have pictures of my first ever purchase s but I do remember what they were. I purchased an 1882 and 1884 Indian cents at a flea market for probably 25 cents each. They are both either corrode d or well worn and probably worth less today but who cares.

My first Barber - my grandfather got it in change back in the 1930's...

Back in 1961 when I was 14 at the time - and the coin had all this terrible tarnish all over it. Well, I fixed that with a very mild solution of Baking Soda and water.Dipped the coin and wiped it with my naked finger, then rinsed it thoroughly. Patted it dry with a cotton swab .... 50 years later ... PCGS said it had altered surfaces... my bad !!

3a8dc472.jpg