• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photos With New Camera

11 posts in this topic

After spending the last few weeks photographing raw darkside coins (almost 2,000 pictures of about 30 coins) with my Nikon 4500 I decided to go get a few of my slabbed rainbow morgans and see what kind of results I come up with. They came out ok but still don't quite show the true brightness and vibrancy of the colors. The first is an 1885-O NGC MS66* and the second is an 1882-S NGC MS64*

85o-ngc66x.jpg

82s-ngc64x.jpg

nice pics!! I really need to get back to taking some, I still need to figure our if my camera can do a good job or if I need a new one. Maybe this weekend, but I will drool over your pics for now grin.gif

Very nice! I have a similar Morgan that PCGS bagged, though. frown.gif But yours are quite appealing.

The best way to get color correction is to make sure your white balance is set correctly on your camera and then to use Photoshop and go to levels and set the neutral point. That will fix 90% of the color correction issues.

Neil

Beautiful coins/images! You captured the true color and lustre as well as anyone can expect with a digital camera -- and then some. And with great resolution. Expecting to get the full depth and vibrancy of the colors as they look in person is an impossible goal, but you've come closer than any of the auction houses.

Thanks everybody, I am slowly learning how to use this camera (and my Ott lights) I have learned a few more things I can do to improve the overall quality of the pictures and after I get the best raw pictures I can then I will start to tweek them in Photoshop so they look as life like as possible. I will post more in the future when I am more satisfied with the overall quality, gotta love those Ott lights though. smile.gif

Very nice photos! Comparing the two, I'm surprised the 82 didn't make 65.

I originally bought that piece in 1987 and it was in a PCGS holder graded MS63!! I broke it out (like I did with all slabbed coins in the 80's) and kept it raw until about 1 1/2 years ago when I decided it was best to get my whole rainbow morgan collection slabbed just in case I ever needed to dispose of them quickly. It is accurately graded as there are enough hits on it to keep it out of the GEM category, I would rather have a nice strong 64 then a barely made it 65.

That is kinda of a tough one to answer as I only use one stationary light that I lean on some bean bags I have so it hits the coin from an angle (not pointing straight down on the coin) probably sets around 2 o'clock pointing down at a moderate angle. The second light I hold in my hand so I can move it around until I get the best looking image before I snap off the picture,thats why a TV hookup comes in handy as you can really see what the image looks like before taking the picture. But one thing I have learned is just about every coin looks better under a little different lighting so I am always making adjustments to the lights so the coin I am currently shooting looks its best. Hope this helps.